Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
BeerBottles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 30% foam

30% foam in glass.
40 degrees
15 psi

Force carbed last night, over carbed, 100% foam. Took of QD, Burped keg, Got the foam to go away for most part, per advice here on site.

Wondering now if I need more force carbing, or should turn down psi to 5-7 to get head to go away and carb into beer.

3 hours to party starts, house full of people, kegs full of flat beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You need to get the temperature of the beer. Ambient temperature means nothing in kegerator terms. Pour a beer...chug it. Pour another and take a temperature reading. You need to be at 38'f. Also, what you are experiencing is CO2 breakout. It is normally caused from too warm a temperature and not enough CO2 pressure. You are aiming to balance the system. Depending what kind of beer you have kegged can determine the volumes of CO2 needed.

Tap # 2: Empty
Bottled: MusiclySweet Cream Stout (for SWMBO), Black Stain Imperial Stout, Boxer Brew

Mohr Brewing Co. Like Us!!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It sounds like you have plenty of carbonation in the beer. I would purge the 15 psi off, adjust the pressure adjustment screw to as low as possible. You just need to dispense a beer at this point in 20 - 30 seconds. Then you can work out the details after the SB party. Good Luck! Go Steelers!!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBottles View Post
30% foam in glass.
40 degrees
15 psi

Force carbed last night, over carbed, 100% foam. Took of QD, Burped keg, Got the foam to go away for most part, per advice here on site.

Wondering now if I need more force carbing, or should turn down psi to 5-7 to get head to go away and carb into beer.

3 hours to party starts, house full of people, kegs full of flat beer.
How did you "force carb last night"? If you had it at 40 degrees, and 15 psi and shook it, it should settle right down. If you had it at 30 psi and shook it, it'll be overcarbed. If you did, just keep pulling the pressure relief valve until it equalizes. It might not be ok in three hours, though. I'd turn the pressure done to 2 psi or so, just enough to push the beer, and hope for the best.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

how long of lines?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
BeerBottles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
How did you "force carb last night"? If you had it at 40 degrees, and 15 psi and shook it, it should settle right down. If you had it at 30 psi and shook it, it'll be overcarbed. If you did, just keep pulling the pressure relief valve until it equalizes. It might not be ok in three hours, though. I'd turn the pressure done to 2 psi or so, just enough to push the beer, and hope for the best.
Amber Ale

Lines are about 4 to 5 feet.
Current Beer Temp is 39 degrees (thermometer in glass of beer)

Per the advice of a friend: I "forced carbed" at 15 psi for 5 min (flat), then 20 for 5 (flat), then 30pi for 10 min... Pure Foam.

This morning, took off gas, shook and burped over and over till I got to this point. 1/3 glass of foam, nice looking carb for about 5 seconds, rises into head and is flat to drink.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBottles View Post
Amber Ale

Lines are about 4 to 5 feet.
Current Beer Temp is 39 degrees (thermometer in glass of beer)

Per the advice of a friend: I "forced carbed" at 15 psi for 5 min (flat), then 20 for 5 (flat), then 30pi for 10 min... Pure Foam.

This morning, took off gas, shook and burped over and over till I got to this point. 1/3 glass of foam, nice looking carb for about 5 seconds, rises into head and is flat to drink.
Ah, your friend led you astray. Don't listen to him/her anymore!

I'd purge again, and turn it way down. Try just turning on the co2 until you get beer to dispense and see if that helps serve the beer today.

Also, remember to open the tap fully. Sometimes if it's foamy, our inclination is to just crack it open to slow it down. That doesn't work- think what happens when you pinch a garden hose! Make sure you open the tap all of the way to serve.

After today- keep the keg in the fridge at 11 psi. Get 8-10 foot lines. In 10 days, the beer will be perfect!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hate to say this but you've got enough time to run out for a few six packs. There is no telling what the actual carb level is at this point. If the beer is rocketing out at 15psi, which I'd expect it to, you either need to dial the pressure back to like 10psi or replace your serving line with 10 feet of 3/16" ID.

It breaks my heart when people serve last minute anxiety brew to party guests. I understand the motivation behind it but it consistently soils the reputation of homebrew.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
jvcjbl
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Extending the line is just masking the real problem. You need to balance the system.

Tap # 2: Empty
Bottled: MusiclySweet Cream Stout (for SWMBO), Black Stain Imperial Stout, Boxer Brew

Mohr Brewing Co. Like Us!!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

extending the line IS balancing the system, by adding resistance to counteract the pressure in the beer... but i agree with the others, hard to know what pressure you have dissolved in the beer at this point, its been overcarbed then bled out so many times. solution is long term under consistent serving pressure so it can equalize. but, the lines could still be too short in the end,...

Quick Reply