Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 30% Attenuation tastes awful

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 30% Attenuation tastes awful

I brewed a Belgian Wit last Saturday (1.048 original gravity), and pitched WLP400. It bubbled along nicely, and then it kind of stopped bubbling. The beer cleared out pretty well, which I took as a sign of being close to ready. Thinking maybe I'd bottle of move to secondary soon, depending on my mood, I took a sample.
I of course overfilled my test tube, so I drank a sip out of it to get it down where it wouldn't overflow when I added the hydrometer. GAH! Yuck... it was awful. Really really terrible. My first thought was infection, but then I measured the SG. 1.030. That's 30% attenuation, slightly low. Looks like I have some time to go.
I read the White Labs site, and it looks like it's a long fermenter, and needs some good swirling action. So I'll go do that...

Not really a question here, but more a warning that wow... half fermented beer is awful.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 564 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Wit yeasts are notorious for inconsistent fermentation cycles.

They are also prone to frothing up so much the yeast beaches itself on the fermenter walls. Give that fermenter a good rocking back and forth to knock that yeast back into solution.

I've had wit go like crazy for three days. Subside completely for 2 days...then start back up again for a week.

Thasss some crazy sh!t that wit yeast is....

Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is one of the three strains I regularly use, and I haven't had any problems with it, but I am far too lazy to open my fermenter until it is time too bottle after 4 weeks. I always have had good final gravities.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Wit yeasts are notorious for inconsistent fermentation cycles.

They are also prone to frothing up so much the yeast beaches itself on the fermenter walls. Give that fermenter a good rocking back and forth to knock that yeast back into solution.
Yup, the yeast must have been beached. I gave the carboy a good swirl, and watched the beer go from clear back to "Fermentation cloudy" very quickly. And sure enough, this morning there is about 4 inches of krausen, so something must be happening again.

But from now on, I'm testing the gravity before i take a sip.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Quick Reply