Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3 weeks and still undercarbonated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
histo320
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default 3 weeks and still undercarbonated

So I bottled my Citra IPA 3 weeks ago and it is still very undercarbed.

I used 4.15 oz of Priming sugar (as stated in Beersmith) for just under 5 gallons. I did secondary due to the dry hop.

Do I just wait this one out for a few more weeks or is there any thing I can do to improve the carbonation.

Drinking - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone, Hopnotic IPA
Primary - Air
Up Next - Milk Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by histo320 View Post
So I bottled my Citra IPA 3 weeks ago and it is still very undercarbed.

I used 4.15 oz of Priming sugar (as stated in Beersmith) for just under 5 gallons. I did secondary due to the dry hop.

Do I just wait this one out for a few more weeks or is there any thing I can do to improve the carbonation.

At what temp did you keep them? Just a few degrees lower than 70-71*F can make a difference. They probably just need more time.

I enjoyed a bottle of Munich Dunkel this evening that took about 6 weeks at 70-72*F to finish carbonating.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
histo320
Recipes 

They are being stored at 65F - 70F.

I will just have to be patient with them not only to carb but to have the flavor mellow out a but. I have bottled two others and stored with the same method and they carbed up fine in 3 weeks.

Primary - Air
Up Next - Milk Stout

Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

could try rousing the yeast...

turn upside down for 3 days, then back right side up again for 3 days, then chill

has worked for me

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

There are no carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

rklinck Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

I agree that a little more time is likely required.

Also, what is the ABV? Higher alcohol means the yeast move a little slower. (Alcohol makes me move a LOT slower, so I give the little yeasties a break.)

Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
histo320
Recipes 

The ABV should be around 8 or 9% this was by accident not design. I accidently added 2 lbs of DME to make up for poor mash conversion when I should have just added .75 lb.

Thanks for all of the help. I figured it was just patience.

Primary - Air
Up Next - Milk Stout

Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
There are no carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.
Revvy, do you have that saved in a word document somewhere so you can just copy and paste?

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

rklinck Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The high ABV combined with the low temps will do it. Try to store them somewhere warmer. I also used to tip the bottles every couple days to rouse the yeast.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thood6

Revvy, do you have that saved in a word document somewhere so you can just copy and paste?
Probably copied and pasted from a VERY similar thread from yesterday (which was copied out of a VERY similar thread from the day before, etc.).

Quick Reply