Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3 weeks in primary. Beer tastes awful.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Sea_of_Shells
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 3 weeks in primary. Beer tastes awful.

We bottled our very first brew today, and we of course tasted the batch before priming and bottling. It tasted absolutely awful. It's supposed to be an IPA, but it didn't taste anything even resembling as IPA. I understand the beer may still be green, and it was at room temperature and uncarbonated, but shouldn't it have at least resembled an IPA? There was no hop character, and it was very abrasive. I'm kind of bummed. Will the beer end up okay, or do we have 41 bottles of something slightly worse than Coors Light?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

no way to tell before carbing/aging. it could be bollocks or brilliant. carb it and see what develops

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Irish13
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bottle it and let sit for 3 or 4 weeks......should be good to go after that.

But the best ships, are friendships,
and may they always be.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

You might try to describe the awful flavor. It may help diagnose any problems. But generally awful beer at bottling doesn't transform to even good beer from sitting in a bottle.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 168

IMO it depends on how awful. I have had several that I didn't like the taste of at bottling, a couple that were not too good at 3 weeks in the bottles and very good at 4 weeks.

If it tastes "bad" there might be something going on that will not cure with age. The only real way to know is to wait and see.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Okay, it's not awful. It's bitter, but that's about it. In tasting it again, I can't honestly say that's it all that bad, it's just not what I expected. This being our first batch, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than the dozens and dozens of IPAs I've had. I might be over exaggerating, come to think of it. I should probably just relax, and let the yeast do their thing. It seriously looks abysmal though. Just horrible.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
TapeDeck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My first IPA smelled amazing in primary, then awesome in secondary until bottle time. Then it tasted okay, but smelled kinda gross. After 6 weeks it was one of the best beers I've had, and my hophead friends took more than their fair share of it.

If you're not getting enough aroma, it could be because you either didn't dry hop in secondary, or steeped your aroma hops too long, etc. Remember, a lot of the great commercial IPAs are technically closer to IIPA and DIPAs and the great IIPA and DIPA out there are pretty much INSANE hop amounts right now (which is a beautiful thing, to me) so an easy rule of thumb with a kit is to BUY MORE HOPS. Go to town. Let the beer sit in bottles for a good 2 weeks, and then in the fridge overnight. See if you don't change your mind.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_of_Shells View Post
Okay, it's not awful. It's bitter, but that's about it. In tasting it again, I can't honestly say that's it all that bad, it's just not what I expected. This being our first batch, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than the dozens and dozens of IPAs I've had. I might be over exaggerating, come to think of it. I should probably just relax, and let the yeast do their thing. It seriously looks abysmal though. Just horrible.
A slightly better description than the first post. It might get better. Try to picture, remember that taste. If you can describe any off flavor it will help. I hate waiting 3 weeks to taste a beer that may be flawed when I know I'm going to brew again before that.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Sea_of_Shells
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

There's kind of an oxidized, wet cardboard thing going on. It feels medium bodied in the mouth, but I don't get any real flavor. It's really just a bitter, medium bodied water. No malt character, and no real hop character. It does have a legitimate IPA bitterness. But honestly, that's it. I'm probably just overreacting. This was an extract kit with steeping grains from Brewer's Best. We followed the hop schedule perfectly, and dry hopped it for about 10 days.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Let it ride... Let it sit 3-4 weeks in the bottle before declaring it horrid. It may turn out awesome! I've had a few IPAs that tasted nothing but bitter before racking to secondary or bottling, then tastes great after mellowing out a few weeks.

Quick Reply