Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3 weeks in primary, add more yeast or not

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default 3 weeks in primary, add more yeast or not

As I do not have glass carboys (I use plastic buckets with lids) I am transferring beer after 7 days fermentation to glass 1 gallon demijohns with rubber bungs and airlocks. I leave these a further 2 weeks, then I bottle with a small amount of priming sugar. Should I be adding fresh yeast at this stage?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No need, you ill transfer plenty with you when you rack.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

But the beer is still and crystal clear when I bottle?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
But the beer is still and crystal clear when I bottle?
yeast are single-celled organisms. Unless your eyes are microscopically inclined, the visual appearance of the beer has little bearing on whether yeast cells are in suspension. After 3 weeks, there's still plenty, believe me. After 4 months, then you'll wanna repitch at bottling. Otherwise, relax.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have gone 2-3 months without repitching.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
cmgray
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
As I do not have glass carboys (I use plastic buckets with lids) I am transferring beer after 7 days fermentation to glass 1 gallon demijohns with rubber bungs and airlocks.
I agree with the previous posters that there's no need to add more yeast. But there's also no need to transfer from the bucket at one week. If the beer isn't done fermenting then you're doing damage to the finished product by not letting it finish out in the primary.

Why are you transferring at one week? Are you worried about oxygen because of the plastic bucket? If that's the case, there's no worry unless you're going to age the beer for more than a month or so. The plastic should be fine for 2-4 weeks at least. The secondary is completely unecessary for most beers.

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks, friends. In January I will brew a test brew and leave it, without even removing the krausen, for 3 weeks in bucket. The lid is pretty tight fitting so I should be ok. I have now bottled the 2 separate gallons from demijohns, but I guess I need to wait 4 weeks in bottle before I taste them.

Quick Reply