Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3 hour lag time!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
BigTerp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 3 hour lag time!!!!

Brewed my Northern Brewer caribou slobber brown this morning. Pitched the Wyeast 1332 from my 1.5 liter starter I made on tuesday. Used some Wyeast yeast nutrient during the boil. Pitched my yeast at 11:00 and threw my fermenter in my swamp cooler @ 68 degrees. Got done mowing the grass about 2 and went to check the temp of my swamp cooler and noticed airlock activity. After only 3 hours!!!!! Starters and yeast nutrient are going to be staples in my brew process from now on.

Primary #1: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale
Primary #2: Pumpkin Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Caramel Amber Ale, Dead Ringer IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Without a doubt, I love doing starters. Anymore, I get nervous when I don't see activity within 3 hours of pitching.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I've done only 2 starters so far. Both were pitched in the evening and going strong by the next morning. I'm also sold!!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quick lag times are not necessarily a good thing. It may actually be stressing the yeast, since they aren't taking the appropriate time to acclimate to the wort environment and uptake the essential nutrients for optimal health.

It's probably not that big of a deal, but you might be overpitching or pitching too warm. Just some things to think about.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Quick lag times are not necessarily a good thing. It may actually be stressing the yeast, since they aren't taking the appropriate time to acclimate to the wort environment and uptake the essential nutrients for optimal health.

It's probably not that big of a deal, but you might be overpitching or pitching too warm. Just some things to think about.
Definitely not to warm. Pitched at 70 degrees. Don't think I overpitched either. According to Mr. Malty I needed a 1.9 liter starter. I only pitched a 1.5 liter starter. It was a pretty active starter though. I see what your saying though and appreciate the input.
Primary #1: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale
Primary #2: Pumpkin Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Caramel Amber Ale, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

It's possible that there isnt enough O2 in the wort too. That is a bit quick to go from aerobic to anaerobic. You do want the yeast to reproduce for a while.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

+1

I always like to have mine start quick. At 12 hours, I like to know there is some activity going on. But at 3 hours, it is too soon. The yeast need time to reproduce, and during that time they are creating the building blocks for the esters they are going to create. If you start too quick, you will lose some of the yeast flavors and risk creating fusel alcohols.

As pseudo noted, a quick start is usually a sign of over-pitching or a high pitching temperature.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I've never gotten fusels & other nasty off flavors from vigorous starters before. fusels come from high pitch temps that remain high for even a day or 2. And I only use 1.5C starters with 1/4C DME to get them going well 3-6 hours before pitching. I even used 2tsp dextrose in the same amount of water for re-hydrating. The sugar water one started bubbling in 9 hours that I noticed. I'd awoke in the wee hours & decided to check on it. It was bubbling like a US-05,quick-n-steady.
The starters were starting to bubble slowly by 6or 7 AM.
So,in the op's case,I'd say that big starter had them reproducing sufficiently so as not to need as much reproduction time when pitched. It seems to have been close to th right #'s already. Something to think about,anyway.

Quick Reply