Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3 gallon better bottle w/ 2.5g wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 3 gallon better bottle w/ 2.5g wort

Hey group,

My fishing buddies and I are trying to figure out hops and hops combinations.

Here is my idea: Find a solid base APA recipe with malt and grains and change the hops in different batches. So I can have several different cases of beer to try at one time and to keep cost down, I am going to do 2.5 gallon batches on the stove by the Brew in the bag method or using DME.

Will a 3 gallon better bottle with blow off tube suffice for fermenter?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I use my 3 gallon BB for 2.5 gallon batches all the time, and NEVER have needed a blowoff tube. I pre-measured and marked my Better bottle, and you can see here where the 2.5 gallon mark is. If you can't tell it is right where the krausen begins.

I've had some mighty fermentations, and never had a blowoff in it (actually I've only ever had one blowoff in any beer batch and that was a bucket.)

But obviously if you feel you need one go for it...but I've not seen the need. And I've done some pretty big beers in mine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey Revvy,

I have only been on this board a short time but want to thank you for all the lessons you give freely. My learning curve has been cut greatly with your sage advice.

This questions was omitted. I found your 2.5 recipes on a search. I didn't realize 2.5 gallons was in mr beer territory. Not that there is anything wrong with that!!

Again thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Last edited by flipfloptan; 09-18-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: found answer

Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfloptan View Post
Hey Revvy,

I have only been on this board a short time but want to thank you for all the lessons you give freely. My learning curve has been cut greatly with your sage advice.

This questions was omitted. I found your 2.5 recipes on a search. I didn't realize 2.5 gallons was in mr beer territory. Not that there is anything wrong with that!!

Again thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Missed the question...but as you can see from that other stuff, the old mr beer keg doesn't just need to hold mr beer extract kits. It is the perfect low profile fermenter for small batch, stove top all grain beers. You can even lager it in your fridge without having to remove any shelves or relocating the milk.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just bought my first 3 gallon better bottle tonight. I recently moved to an apartment and have downsized my brewing to 2.5-3 gallon all grain BIAB. I've been fermenting iny 6.5 glass carboy, but I'm doing secondary in these guys. Really cool to have a fermenter that weighs close to nothing...... Guess you can tell its my first non-glass fermenter. Hahaa

Quick Reply