Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Lager-Munich Helles-Sulfur Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
kanielb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2nd Lager-Munich Helles-Sulfur Smell

Hey everybody!! I am new to this forum and new to brewing. I have brewed 7 extract batches of beer. I am on my 2nd lager...a Munich Helles. My first lager was and Australian Lager similar to a Fosters. The primary fermentation lasted for 2 weeks. The second week...my house was without power due to Hurricane Gustav. My 2nd lager...the munich helles is fermenting now. The airlock bubbles about every 5 seconds. My fridge and airlock has sulfur smell coming from it. From what I have read...this is normal. Is that correct? My dilemma...do I do a d-rest now or do I just leave it in the primary fermenter for another week. It has been fermenting since Sunday. Thanks ya'll!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

The sulfer will subside, Lager yeasts are prone to this.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

You can't judge by bubbles in airlock. I usually do my D-rests when the Krausen starts to fall... maybe 1/3 to 1/2 fallen. What you're shooting for is to do the D-rest when fermentation is nearing completion. 6-10 points from terminal gravity is good, but since this is difficult to accurately gauge, the 'Krausen falling' method works for me.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do ya'll suggest...24-48 hours of d-rest and then 3-5 more days in the fridge?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Let the D-rest finish out the fermentation (1-3 days usually), then slowly cool back down to primary temp (5°F per day), rack to secondary, slowly lower to lagering temps (again 5°F per day), and lager for your chosen lagering period (typical Helles would be 4-6 weeks).

END TRANSMISSION

BurpMasterson Likes This 

Quick Reply