Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is 2nd fermentation normal in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
mccartney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default is 2nd fermentation normal in secondary?

i have a honey ale that has been in secondary for a week so far. its starting to ferment again today.

i followed the recipe except for adding another pound of sugar while cooking it, and the dry hopping with 3 types of hops 1 oz each: somcoe, amarillo, and cascade.

it was in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. OG was 1.064 and FG was 1.010 at the time i put it in secondary. since secondary ive been shaking it up occasionally and watch it release some CO2 trapped and mix up the hops. today it started fermenting again. it has bubbles coming up, airlock activity, and a krausen appearing, although small.

this is a second run for a yeast i harvested from my last batch if that is any useful information relating to this.

is there something i did wrong or is there an explanation why this happens? i assumed that after 4 weeks of activity it would be out of gas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Since your FG was 1.010 I'm fairly certain it's not fermenting. It's probably just a combo of nucleation sites from the hops, you shaking it, and temperature rise that is causing the CO2 to come out of solution.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 540

+1 on ryush!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
mccartney
Recipes 

im sure youre right but it looks just like fermenting.

at first i was shaking it and after an hour it would clear again and the release of CO2 would stop when i was done shaking it.

today it had not been clear all day and bubbles have been coming up for a good 12 hours. ive done several batches the same way and have noted the nucleation each time. this seems to be something different

Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Only way to know for sure is pull another hydro on it. If its still about 1.010 then it's just CO2 release. If its significantly lower you may have some other issue going on.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
mccartney
Recipes 

well i got home from work this after noon and noticed a krausen has formed about an inch thick and a bubble is coming out of the airlock about every 3 seconds. i havent shaked it for a good 24 hours now. at this point i dont think i need a hydrometer to confirm, its apparent that it is fermenting again.

what could be going on?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Cyclman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 122

One danger of secondary is infection- wild bacteria can ferment yeasts to a lower FG than the brewing yeasts. Taste it, see if it is sour / acidic. If so, drink it fast.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
mccartney
Recipes 

would wild bacteria cause a fermentation with a big krausen and airlock activity that looks just like a normal fermentation?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

It might if it's taken hold. Is there any whitish slimy,bubbly spider web like stuff forming on top? That'd be an infection.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
mccartney
Recipes 

i dont see any white spiderweb, it is a green lumpy foam that looks like normal fermenting.

the yeast i used was harvested from my last batch, and it took a few days to get it going in the starter. also when i siphoned it into the secondary i think i got more sediment than i really wanted. plus it is a honey ale and the honey only boiled for a couple minutes. is it possible there were some sugars trapped somewhere that werent able to ferment until i was shaking it up?

everything about it seems normal except for the fact it is fermenting a second time?

Edit:
well never mind. i just tasted it and it was extremely bitter and acidic tasting. is there any way to salvage anything now?

Quick Reply