New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Brew, Pale ale advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You could even give hop bursting a shot. All hops are added 20 minutes from the end of the boil forward. Makes for great hop flavors and aromas. To get higher IBU batches, you use a LOT more hops, but for something with lower IBU targets, you can easily get there.

Without the actual hop AA%, I'll have to use information from what I have on hand...

Change the hop schedule to
1oz EKG at 15 minutes
1oz Fuggles at 10 minutes
1oz EKG at 5 minutes
.8oz Fuggles at 5 minutes

Depending on AA%, that should get you in the low 20's for IBUs.

BTW, with 6# of DME, in a 5.5 gallon batch size (amount in fermenter) you're going to hit about 4.7% ABV. If you really want to get 3.9-4.2% you'll need to reduce the DME amount. 5# will get you 4% ABV, and you'll have about 24 IBUs.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
seriousbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It annoys me as much as it does you about AA.
My local brew-shop is lazy. It seems they buy hops in bulk and repackage and vacuum. The labeling is atrociously dis-informative, the only reason I still purchase from there is i can visit instead of pay shipping costs

Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Golddiggie
Recipes 

IMO, time to stop going to them... Order enough from the good vendors (per order) and the shipping costs (per item) become very reasonable. Use someplace like Hops Direct for your hop needs, if they have what you want. I've bought from them in the past (during the BOGO special a while ago) but otherwise just order my hops from Rebel Brewer. Depending on how far you want to go to get to a GOOD HBS, you could save by just paying for shipping (fuel and time costs).

I'm pretty lucky, right now, in that I'm close to a LHBS (Jasper's in Nashua) that's got a good selection of what I want/need. Good yeast pricing, appears to have a good hop selection, and pretty intelligent people. Far better than when I was going to the place in Marlboro, where only some of the staff (at the time) had any clue. After they moved, it was next to impossible to find out IF they had a specific strain of Wyeast on hand. Plus, it was a good 30-45 minute drive, each way, to get there. Really like how the LHBS I visit now is under 10 minutes away.

BTW, if they're that bad at labeling the hops that they repackage (can be a seriously bad thing if they don't do it right) I'd wonder what else they're not labeling right. Are you even sure you're getting the hops you're looking for?? IMO, convenience is NOT worth the uncertainty.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If it is an English Pale Ale, I would suggest a few small changes.

1. Change the Crystal 20 to Crystal 60. Even better, switch to an English Crystal. The Crystal 20 would be great for an APA, but as far as I know in not generally available in the UK.
  2. I'd drop the Cara-Pils. Again, I'm not aware of it being used in the UK.
  3. I'd use the Goldings for the late hop addition, and use the Fuggles for bittering. The Goldings have a much better flavor and aroma than Fuggles. I'd suggest 2 oz Fuggles at 60 minutes, and 1 oz Goldings at 5 minutes.
I wouldn't add large amounts of late hops in an EPA. This is often done in the US, but is not at all typical in the UK.

Good luck,

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
If it is an English Pale Ale, I would suggest a few small changes.
  1. Change the Crystal 20 to Crystal 60. Even better, switch to an English Crystal. The Crystal 20 would be great for an APA, but as far as I know in not generally available in the UK.
  2. I'd drop the Cara-Pils. Again, I'm not aware of it being used in the UK.
  3. I'd use the Goldings for the late hop addition, and use the Fuggles for bittering. The Goldings have a much better flavor and aroma than Fuggles. I'd suggest 2 oz Fuggles at 60 minutes, and 1 oz Goldings at 5 minutes.
I wouldn't add large amounts of late hops in an EPA. This is often done in the US, but is not at all typical in the UK.
IMO, hop bursting is a very new technique, so just because English breweries are not using it doesn't invalidate it in an English pale ale/ESB. That being said, depending on the actual AA% of the hops, the above listed hop changes would work well. Personally, I really enjoy EKG for flavor, and aroma, additions. I would also try to get some British Crystal Malt II (65L) for this and use 8oz in it. I've only used carapils in one recipe, well over a year ago (almost two now). Didn't see much difference compared with batches where I didn't use it at all, so you could drop it completely.

I still say you'll need to reduce the DME amount if you really want to hit your target ABV.

I also don't see anything 'wrong' with using another ounce of EKG at either 10 minutes or flame out (pick one or the other though). Or move the 5 minute addition (recommended by ajf) to 10 minutes and make a 0 minute (flame-out) addition of another ounce. If you're concerned about IBU's, you could reduce the Fuggles addition to 1.5oz (at 60 minutes). IMO, you REALLY do need to know the AA% of the hops you'll be using. Especially with your previously stated dislike for bitterness.

Something else that has me wondering... Once you get to a boil, you should get hot break. Your statement of "because I didn't wait for hot break" is a bit confusing. If you're boiling for 60 minutes, you'll get hot break. Cool/chill fast (or fast enough) and you'll also get good cold break. Both of which are GOOD things for the brew. Take your time and brew it right. Don't cut corners or you'll be disappointed with what you get in bottles (if it makes it that far).

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply