Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd brew octoberfest suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
irunxcjm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Even with a Smackpack, you should make a starter. The Smackpack just wakes the yeast up. It doesn't start the reproduction stage. Google Mr Malty for a good pitching rate calculator. It will tell you the size of starter you need to get the correct pitching rate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
chaos2984
Recipes 

well the pack said i didnt need any starter. But 24hrs later and i started to get active fermentation. So i think i should be ok. How long should i let it sit before i check it a week 2 weeks ??

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
irunxcjm
Recipes 

You're going to get fermentation, sure. But the fact is that these do kot have enough cells for a proper pitching rate. That's one good thing about dry, they DO have enough cells. Like I said, it'll probably fine and let it go. I'd let it go for at least 3 weeks. After that, I'm not really sure for a lager. I know most people do a diacetyl rest. But i dont know the details on that. For an ale, I let it sit for a month then bottle.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 122

OK, here is the low down on lagers, the temps need to be low, like in the 50s low so you will want to get that temp down a bit, if you used wyeast 2633 the range is 48 to 58 degrees, 58 being the way top end, for best results you would want to keep it at about 48 to 50 degrees to allow for a bit of temp rise from fermentation. since you didn't want to make a large starter you would have needed to pitch 4.3 pouches of yeast to have the correct amount for proper fermentation as indicated in the link to MrMalty posted above somewhere. assuming you used the 2633 yeast it is a medium-low flocculating strain so it will take a long time for the yeast to drop out of the beer.

lagers take a long time to ferment possibly a month or so, I would check your gravity near the end of fermentation, when it is 80% finished you need to bump the temp up by 10 degrees for the final fermentation this is called the Diacetyl Rest, this will help eliminate the butter-like flavor that lager yeast tend to impart on the beer.

once fermentation is complete, drop the temp 3 to 5 degrees per day down to about 35 degrees, at this point I rack the beer off the yeast and into a keg or another clean fermentor. let the beer lager for a minimum of 1 week per 10 points of original gravity, so since your beer was at 1.060, you would need to lager for about 6 weeks.

When I make my Oktoberfest lager, I brew it in March and it is served at my Oktoberfest party in late September.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
chaos2984
Recipes 

well the guy at the store never said i needed more than one bag of the yeast. I would of thought he would of said something if i did. Also i have the dry yeast that came with the kit. Should i throw that in as well or no. So check the gravity in about 2 weeks and then check again on week 3

Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't mix ale and lager yeasts.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
chaos2984
Recipes 

ok i figured that. but just making sure I think i will be ok

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
chaos2984
Recipes 

well just checked out the brew today. Eveerything seems to be going well. bubbling is going at a nice pace not fast and not slow. bubbling every other second. temp is holding steady on the bucket of 52. I think everything will turnout well

Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Dude, an Oktoberfest (any lager for that matter) is going to be a PITA to do, especially for your first brew. Do you have a way of controlling temperatures? If not, you are most likely going to end up with a funky tasting beer. Maybe even nothing like an Oktoberfest.

And personally, between the LHBS guy and the guys and gals on this forum, I would listen to these fine folks.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
chaos2984
Recipes 

yea my basement stays about 52-55 during the winter. If i knew it would of been this hard to do with liquid yeast i would of stayed with the packet yeast that ferments at ale temps that came with the kit. But i think i might be alright with my friends help and you all's help. Im deff willing to listen to get help

Quick Reply