Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd brew .. Needing help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Canadianbrewer2012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2nd brew .. Needing help

Hey guys just reading in and I also have a rookie brewer question... I am currently working on my second brew .. The first was an amber ale which turned out well (private supplier recipe .. not mainstream) well the amber took little time to be ready for drinking (1 week primary, 1 week secondary, bottle, 3 week in bottle) and it is arguably the best beer I have ever had (possibly bias on my part) anyway... I bought a tin kit of "Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale" which is very popular... I have no idea when this stuff is aged well enough to drink... I can't seem to find it anywhere ... Do I keep it in the secondary for a long time or put it in a keg or bottles to age .. I'm a lite lost .. I knew what to expect with my first brew but am now lacking direction.. anyone have any experience with this kit? Or have some suggestion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
mtodd22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi. The only way to know for sure when your beer is done fermenting is to take hydrometer readings on consecutive days. If the readings are consistent then you are done and can move to a secondary for clearning (that's a whole other debate, of course).

Be sure to buy a hydrometer if you don't have one already. Airlock bubbles, average time, etc are not good indicators of whether it's ready or not.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Canadianbrewer2012
Recipes 

I have a pretty good idea of how to tell when fermentation is complete it's just the conditioning of the beer I am wondering about for when it is aged to drink ...

Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

From what I've read it's 6.5 ABV so I would say 3-5 weeks bottle conditioned. Pop up one open after week 3, see how it tastes and go from there.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Yeah, at 6.5% it should take four or five weeks to carb up and be 'ready', but being a darker beer it'll definitely get better with some time.... the question is, how much time? (only your senses will tell you that) And, if it's good once it's conditioned, how long will it last?

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Canadianbrewer2012
Recipes 

Thanks for the input! I was just reading some posts of another site where guys are making the same brand of ale and saying that it's ideal flavor is after 5 months ... WHAT!? .. I mean.. I knew I was getting into a hobby that takes patients but.. I'm a thirsty boy ! ... I will just have to listen to my senses! Thanks again!

Quick Reply