The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd brew, first on propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Gunslinger711
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default 2nd brew, first on propane

The weather was nice enough here in Indiana for me to try a boil outside in my garage using a turkey fryer so that's what I did. Brewing up a milk stout from Brewer's Best. I plan to primary for 2 weeks, then drop in cocoa nibs and vanilla beans soaked in bourbon for my secondary.

Brew Day observations:
---Brewing on propane yields a much faster boil but possibly less control (vs an electric stove) as I did have some burnt extract on the bottom of my brew pot.
---When you start a boil, make sure it's good and boiling. I got mine boiling, then added the DME, lactose, and maltodextrine then need another 5-10 minutes fiddling around with the temperature settings to get back to boiling but not boil over (see previous comment about less control and burnt extract).
---Totally blew past the 150 needed for my steeping grains and got it stabilized around 180 for 20 minutes. At this point I'm thinking I just need more time on the propane to dial in my control
---I cannot wait to get an immersion chiller as this "sink full of ice" is for the birds.
---OG was at 1.052, recipe called for 1.057-1.064, not too worried about it though
---I'll be keeping this one in a downstairs closet as opposed to my upstairs closet where temps stay in the 60's, upper 50's at times

Overall:
More time with the propane burner is needed to fine tune control, but I do love the quicker boil time.

Pictures to follow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

controlling the burner does take practice.

as soon as you can, buy a second propane take.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I remember going from a glass top electric stove to an outdoor propane burner. It's a totally different experience and does take some getting use to. If you didn't already, you might get it boiling then kill the propane and add your extracts then once they are well mixed in get it rolling again. Congrats on your second brew!

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Is your fryer new or gently used, ..... ?

Sometimes all it takes is a new regulator hose setup, especially if the fryer is used already.

They usually go bad first especially when fryer was used to cook and deep fry and the heat from the burner can cause issues with the regulator and hose.

PRIMARY: Dirty Blonde
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: Regal Pale Ale
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: SNPA Clone
SECONDARY: Unknown Ale (Partigyle from RPA and SNPA)
BOTTLED / CONDITIONING: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Fuggle SMaSH
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Willamette
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Gunslinger711
Recipes 

You can see (1 "steeping the grains" (2 "fancy boil picture" (3 "let's cool it off" (4 "wort in a bucket"

steep_mod.jpg   boil_mod.jpg   cool_mod.jpg   finish_mod.jpg  

Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try killing your heat before adding extract next time. Just turn the propane tank off and then add all your fermentables, take a good 10 minutes stirring to get them all dissolved evenly, then kick your heat back on.

Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1533 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2609

Since your moving the pot to cool anyway bring the pot up to steeping temp on the stove then move out to the burner for the boil. I started doing this to save on filling the propane tank, it just made sense to me.

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Gunslinger711 Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
Gunslinger711
Recipes 

Everyone's suggestions about killing the propane entirely before adding fermentables in, good tip. ChefRex, I really like your steeping tip.

If anyone else has garage brewing/propane burner tips I'd love to hear them.

Planning: Rye Pale Ale

Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I did the same thing on my second propane attempt scorched my Hef like said above kill the flame and add your extract then bring back up to boil... also another option is if you have a smaller s/s pot or come across one at a yard sale, is to do your grains on stove top while your main kettle is coming up to temp. I do my grains in a 16 qt s/s pot no bag, I've got a 1952 O'keefe & Merritt stove I get the water to steeping temp add grains and leave it on the griddle between the burners the stove is always warm, I only lose like 5 degrees in 30 min. then use my extra large strainer then and add to the main kettle and I'm off and running!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
Try killing your heat before adding extract next time. Just turn the propane tank off and then add all your fermentables, take a good 10 minutes stirring to get them all dissolved evenly, then kick your heat back on.
I was going to mention this... but this cat beat me to it.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Quick Reply