Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Brew Day Complete! A question though...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
PilotCline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default 2nd Brew Day Complete! A question though...

So I just brewed my second batch, Caribou Slobber Extract kit. First batch was BB Pumpkin Spice Porter which is 11 days in Primary. First batch was cooled in an ice bath and took me 1hr 30min to get to 80F. I bought an immersion chiller and went from boil to 66F in 13 minutes using about 6 gallons of water(I put the drain hose in my bottling bucket to see how much waste water this produced) with this batch. I strained both batches into the fermenter with a double mesh strainer. The first batch's trub clogged the strainer multiple times and was an extremely thick sludge that filled the 10 inch strainer with no more wort able to separate. The second batch poured right through leaving about a softball size trub that I was able to get most of the wort out of by shaking it a few times. My question is was this easier trub a product of the quicker cooling process, or was it just a random happenstance between the two kits? Also, anyone else that has made Caribou Slobber, did you do the secondary that the instructions call for or just leave in primary? Thanks for all your inputs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think it was a difference in recipes that had different amounts of protein/hop trub to account for different sediment levels. Just my .02. No expert by far.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
I think it was a difference in recipes that had different amounts of protein/hop trub to account for different sediment levels. Just my .02. No expert by far.
This.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 243 Posts

I'm also not an expert, but my understanding was that a faster cool down resulted in more stuff coming out of solution. So I agree with the previous posters that likely the recipe had more to do with it than the cooling rate. If it was the cooling rate, I would expect the opposite results.

Quick Reply