Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd brew- Brewing Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter- should I make a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
formula2fast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Default 2nd brew- Brewing Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter- should I make a starter?

On saturday of next weekend, I am going to be brewing Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter. It has a OG of 1.061. I am using Wyeast's 1056 American Ale yeast.

Should I be making a starter for this beer? Wyeast suggests that 1.060 and higher OG should have a starter, but it is so close, I am not sure it would matter. I am too new to this and have never made a starter, so I am not sure how forgiving they can be.

Point me in the right direction. Should I make a starter with every beer I do regarless of OG? Should I follow the 1.060 and above starter rule?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula2fast
On saturday of next weekend, I am going to be brewing Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter. It has a OG of 1.061. I am using Wyeast's 1056 American Ale yeast.

Should I be making a starter for this beer? Wyeast suggests that 1.060 and higher OG should have a starter, but it is so close, I am not sure it would matter. I am too new to this and have never made a starter, so I am not sure how forgiving they can be.

Point me in the right direction. Should I make a starter with every beer I do regarless of OG? Should I follow the 1.060 and above starter rule?
Personally I wouldn't but wouldn't hurt any to make one and learn a bit more in this fantastic jury we are on......cheers!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You should make a starter. Check out Mr Malty.com which has pich rates for yeast.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Wisluggo
Recipes 

I made this kit, and I did not use a starter. By the way, mine is in bottles and it tastes awesome...like a vanilla milkshake.

I soaked the beans in vodka and added that to the secondary, versus throwing them right on the beer.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisluggo View Post
I made this kit, and I did not use a starter. By the way, mine is in bottles and it tastes awesome...like a vanilla milkshake.

I soaked the beans in vodka and added that to the secondary, versus throwing them right on the beer.
You could have success without one with this beer to be sure, but if you want to assure proper attentuation and a quicker start that avoids off flavors getting a foothold in your beer, the safer bet is to use a starter.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds like I should be making a starter. Thanks for the input guys.

Wisluggo, I am glad it turned out great, and I think I may use your idea of soaking the beans in vodka and adding them during 2ndary. How long did you let them soak?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
rswear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey I have the same kit in my primary, I also used Wyeast 1056.
It’s been a week but I am going to give it another before moving to secondary. I may try soaking the beans in vodka too, sounds interesting.

I always do starters and did a 1 liter on a stir plate for this one. As someone else said, check out Mr.Malty.
I found this nice tutorial on using it. http://billybrew.com/yeast-starter-size

Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Wisluggo
Recipes 

I cut the beans into half inch pieces, split them open, scraped the insides out, and put them in a mason jar. I poured vodka over the top just enough to cover them. I then let it sit at room temp for 3 days, and one week before bottling I added half the mixture. If you add all of it, you will add too much vanilla flavor. A little goes a long way.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

When you say put them in a mason jar, do you mean the beans, or the insides that you scraped out?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula2fast View Post
When you say put them in a mason jar, do you mean the beans, or the insides that you scraped out?
All of it goes into the jar (the insides and the outer shell).

And yes, I'd recommend making a starter always when using liquid yeast. Make the starter a couple of days before brewing so you'll have time to chill and decant the spent wort... although you could just pitch the whole thing if you want.

Quick Reply