The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd brew-advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Zixxer10R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I'd change your local crew.
That is a strong (8% ABV) lager.
If you are brewing it as a lager, you will probably need about 2 - 3 weeks in primary, followed by several months in secondary for lagering (lager is the German word for store. i.e. it has to be stored for a prolonged period at near freezing temperatures) and it will then take several months bottle conditioning before it is ready to drink.
I suspect they sold you a light colored ale, which will not taste the same, but is easier to brew. For an ale, you will need 3 - 4 WEEKS in the primary. You probably won't need a secondary at all, and if it's anything like 8% ABV, it will require several months of bottle conditioning.

-a.
Yes, i would change your crew as well.

Just out of curiosity, who is your crew giving you this terrible information?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Bradfordmon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Being a newbie you will please have to excuse my mistakes on nomenclature. I am learning as fast as I can. Seeing as a lager sounds very complex I doubt they would give me such a task. After my first success I went in for my second batch. They ask me what beer I like to drink then try to hook me up with an easy "kit" like process to ensure the greatest amount of success for a rookie. I told them I had been drinking a lot of Abita Andygator lately which is a Helles Dopplebock so they gave me some items that would get reltively close (he said it would be darker than the abita) and it sounds like it is an Ale set up. I learned that from you and thank you now I will read more.
Again my first batch Amber ale was delicious. So here's to round two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply