Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Batch, Hop Pellets, all that trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
jowens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2nd Batch, Hop Pellets, all that trub

Howdy, just put my 2nd batch into the fermenter and pitched the yeast. I did a lousy job getting the trub out, I mean lousy. For some reason I figured my colander would strain out some of the trub. I was wrong. Whirlpooling didn't get much either. I racked out of the brew kettle hoping to leave some behind, and that was all I left... some. I took a sample for the hydrometer, and let it sit while I was cleaning, and there was like a 1/2" of hop pellet dust at the bottom.

What now? How do I deal with the trub? The recipie was the midwest amarillo pale-ale.

Primary - Prehopped Export Stout Kit
Primary - Ed's Apfelwein
Bottled - Amarillo Pale Ale kit from Midwest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It will be fine RDWHAHB.

Whirlpooling will get most of the trub out but not all. There is always further settling of trub in the primary after it sits for awhile and before fermentation kicks it all up again.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
morrasy
Recipes 

Try using a grain bag for your bittering hops. I do this all the time and have had good success. You should increase your boiling time 10% if you do this though to achieve the same amount of hopy goodness.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

It settles out, you rack the brew off. Then it settles some more.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply