Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Attempt at brewing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
brewzofo1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2nd Attempt at brewing Question

I'm getting ready to attempt my 2nd brew this weekend. My first was FAIL!! Let me briefly explained what I did on my first attempt.

After using a wort chiller and ice to cool the wort (3 gallons in a aluminum turkey fryer) down to 90F I pitched my yeast (Safale US-05) into the 3 gallon wort (at 90F). My first Fail! Then using a sanitized wisk I gently stirred the top spreading the yeast in the wort. My second Fail?? I then started to pour the 3 gallon wort into my fermenting bucket with cooled 2 gallon water (to make my 5 gallons) without using my strainer. My 3rd Fail!! I caught myself after pouring about half gallon unstrained wort into the fermenting bucket. I then proceeded to pour the fermenting bucket back into the wort now mixing up all my yeast. My 4th Fail!! At this point I knew I messed up badly. So what else could I do but pour the now 5 gallon wort back into the fermenting bucket using the strainer. Knowing that it probably would not ferment properly I went ahead and put the lid on and put my airlock on and stored it away. After 3 days nothing going on in the airlock. Nothing after 6 or 10. So I went ahead and left it for 3 weeks knowing that I would end up scrapping this batch. And I did. Dump it that is. So know I'm attempting my second batch with an IPA kit this time.

I know what & when I messed up on my first batch. I think I just got ahead of myself and then panicked. So I have a few questions before I begin my 2nd attempt.

With the IPA kit the yeast that came with it is a liquid (versus the dry on my 1st). It is White Labs WL001 (Calif. Ale yeast). After cooling my wort to 65-70F and adding while straining it to my fermenting bucket (with remaining 2 gallons of water to equal 5 gallons) do I just pour the tube of yeast into my wort (after warming the yeast up to room temp and shaking it up) and that's it? No stirring or mixing it into the wort?

After pitching the yeast into the fermenting bucket do I put the lid on and store it at 70F? I've read and seen on youtube some will put the lid on and shake the bucket after pitching the yeast and then store it.

I should see some activity in the airlock in 2-3 days?

You can comment on all my Fail's from my first attempt. Any tips is welcomed. Thank you guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After skimming I saw that you pitched at 90 F. That tells me why the yeast didn't work. I think you may have overreacted afterward by giving up. Throwing in another pack may have worked a lot better.

If you can get it to less than 70 then I think it will be a little better. Also, research yeast starters on youtube. They will show you how to get this bad boy jamming in no time.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did you by chance take hydrometer readings before or after knowing that you screwed something up? Just because there was no activity in the airlock doesn't mean it didn't ferment. I don't think a fail was not using a strainer when putting the wort into the fermenter. Unless you needed it for hops or something else, the strainer seems unnecessary. The adjustments I see that you should make, you've already mentioned. Just making sure the pitch temp is 65 or so. Other than that, the transfering wort back and forth other than picking up potential nasties, did nothing but aerate it which would be a good thing.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are a lot of comment or questions I have. You pitched yeast into brew pot and then strained it as you poure into ferment bucket? I would mix batch up to 5 gallons at proper temp for yeast and put it into ferment bucket then pitch yeast. Depending on how much yeast you need (Mr. Malty yeast calculator) you may need to use a starter. As for seeing any activity, you may not see any in your air lock. Buckets do not have a perfect seal and air leaks out, it is ok. You must use your OG and FG readings to see the progress on fermentation. You may have dumped good beer from your last batch if you did not know your OG and FG. Lots of people have screewed up and still made good beer. Good luck with your next batch and I hoed this helped.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
brewzofo1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Did you by chance take hydrometer readings before or after knowing that you screwed something up? Just because there was no activity in the airlock doesn't mean it didn't ferment. I don't think a fail was not using a strainer when putting the wort into the fermenter. Unless you needed it for hops or something else, the strainer seems unnecessary. The adjustments I see that you should make, you've already mentioned. Just making sure the pitch temp is 65 or so. Other than that, the transfering wort back and forth other than picking up potential nasties, did nothing but aerate it which would be a good thing.
So after pitching the yeast into the wort should I aerate it by swirling or shaking the fermenting bucket? Or should I aerate the 5 gallon wort ferm bucket first before I pitch the yeast?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In addition to the good info everyone else is giving you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewzofo1 View Post
Do I just pour the tube of yeast into my wort (after warming the yeast up to room temp and shaking it up) and that's it? No stirring or mixing it into the wort?
Mix the yeast in. In fact, shake the hell out of the bucket. Aerating the wort is very important to yeast health. Most people aerate before pitching, but if you shake after you add the yeast then that's fine too.

You should also make a yeast starter. It's really not that hard and makes a huge improvement on your beer. Here's a video I made on how to make one: How to Make a Yeast Starter

BillyBrew.com - Craft beer and homebrewing blog

Follow me on Twitter right here

Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Hey there, glad you're giving it another shot! I think the biggest mistake here was pitching your yeast at 90F. This time, chill your wort, then add it to your bucket that has cold water in it and bring it up to 5 gallons.

I like pouring through a sanitized strainer because this gets rid of a lot of the junk at the bottom, plus it aerates your wort. But if you don't pour it through a strainer, it won't ruin anything. I would mix the wort and water with a long sanitized spoon or something similar. Then, with a sanitized thermometer check the temp and make sure it's around 70F. If it is, pitch your yeast (shouldn't -need- a starter, but if it sounds like something you want to do it will help) right on top, put the kid on the bucket, fill your airlock the proper amount with a weak sanitizing solution (or vodka, or even just water) and put it into the grommet of the lid.

I would store it below 70 degrees if you have the capacity to do so. 65 or a little under is a good number to shoot for. Search for "swamp cooler" on this forum if no area in your house is under 70.

Getting to the right temperature before pitching is crucial, in my opinion. The only two batches that I have lost have been because I was too impatient to let it get down to the right temperature and by the time I got around to pitching more yeast, it was nasty. Remember: Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Homebrew! Though you may have to settle for good commercial if you don't have any homebrewing friends.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBroas View Post
In addition to the good info everyone else is giving you..

Mix the yeast in. In fact, shake the hell out of the bucket. Aerating the wort is very important to yeast health. Most people aerate before pitching, but if you shake after you add the yeast then that's fine too.

You should also make a yeast starter. It's really not that hard and makes a huge improvement on your beer. Here's a video I made on how to make one: How to Make a Yeast Starter
Aren't you supposed to be able to cook directly with that glass container in your video?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1.) 90F is way to hot for yeast, you are correct 70-75 is ideal.
2.) You don't need to wisk the yeast in. Believe it or not they will do their magic if you just sprinkle them on top.
3.) I dont ever strain my wort for fermenting. When fermentation is done all that crap will be on the bottom and you can just siphon the good stuff and leave behind the sludge.

When you have your cooled wort, mix in the 2 gallon of water, put the lid on, done!

I would highly recommend looking up how to make a yeast starter, it helps a lot and is pretty simple.

None :(

Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
Aren't you supposed to be able to cook directly with that glass container in your video?
You could, but I don't do it for a few reasons:
- It's near impossible to stir in the DME in the flask.
- There is very little headspace so boilovers will happen.
- There's the risk of breakage when you put the hot glass in ice cold water.

The pot just makes things easier, and pouring into the flask isn't much of an inconvenience.

BillyBrew.com - Craft beer and homebrewing blog

Follow me on Twitter right here

Quick Reply