The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Attempt after FAILed 1st Attempt - Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewzofo1 View Post
So should I wait for this Saturday (2 weeks of fermenting in primary bucket) and open up bucket take hydro reading and if it's at or near 1.019 prime for bottling?
This is something I almost always see from new brewers. Your beer is not done on a date you choose, it is done when the gravity reading says it is. Don't transfer to a secondary if the gravity is not at finishing gravity, don't bottle at 1.020 (unless it's a milk stout or something with a higher FG) and don't dry hop at week one, before it's done fermenting and before you transfer it off the yeast.

Quote:
I should just go by what the instructions says.
In almost all cases (this one included), no. Here's what those "instructions" should have said:
1) Make 2L starter or pitch 2-3 packs of yeast.
2) Pitch yeast.
3) Forget about the beer for 2 weeks.
4) Check gravity. If finished (1.010 to 1.015 for a pale ale, 1.010 to 1.018 for an IPA), transfer to secondary and dry hop. (Don't dry hop on yeast, when it's cold, or before the beer is finished dropping in gravity.) If not finished, wait! Check gravity again in 2-3 days and start step #4 again.
5) Dry hop for 1-2 weeks.
6) Bottle. Let carbonate for 2-3 weeks, 3 weeks if you can stand it.
7) Enjoy!

It's a really simple process. I have no idea why so many of these kits screw it up. Probably marketing to "make beer fast!", who knows.

At any rate, pick up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. You can probably get it on amazon for like $12. Best brewing investment you'll ever make!
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
So I dont need to bottle after two weeks? I could wait another week (three weeks total in the primary bucket is okay)? Or do I need to bottle when my FG hits the target of 1.019? Could it get lower than 1.019? Like 1.010? What happens when I leave it in another week and the FG is at 1.010 or lower? Higher ABV? I am so confused at this point. Some say after two weeks. Others say bottle when FG hits target of 1.019. Others say its okay to leave in primary bucket for 3-4 weeks. Maybe I am reading into this to much.
Relax homeboy! It's all good. I would highly suggest How to Brew, that way you're reading it straight from the source and can put everything else to rest. If you don't want to buy a copy, the 1st edition is free online :Intro to your first malt extract beer

-Amanda
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
brewzofo1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufguss View Post
Relax homeboy! It's all good. I would highly suggest How to Brew, that way you're reading it straight from the source and can put everything else to rest. If you don't want to buy a copy, the 1st edition is free online :Intro to your first malt extract beer

-Amanda
I have and read How to Brew. Great read. I'm just a bit nervous about this batch. My first batch did not go. So I want this one to take.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I don't recall seeing any bubbles in my airlock during the first week in the bucket. But I understand that it doesn't have to have bubbles in the airlock for it to ferment. It has been sitting in my closet with the temperature right around 68-70F. Saturday was the only time I opened the lid to drop in the dry hops and take a hydrometer reading. It looks like some of the pictures I've seen here in the forum after one week.

So I dont need to bottle after two weeks? I could wait another week (three weeks total in the primary bucket is okay)? Or do I need to bottle when my FG hits the target of 1.019? Could it get lower than 1.019? Like 1.010? What happens when I leave it in another week and the FG is at 1.010 or lower? Higher ABV? I am so confused at this point. Some say after two weeks. Others say bottle when FG hits target of 1.019. Others say its okay to leave in primary bucket for 3-4 weeks. Maybe I am reading into this to much.
You have already put he hops in, and the final gravity will not keep dropping the longer it sets, so no worries on that point. The beer will finish out when all the sugars are consumed by the yeast converting them to alcohol, thus the estimated FG of 1.019. Wait till new years day and take a gravity reading and if you are spot on wait two more days and do it again; as long as they match you are ready to bottle at that time and enjoy your brew a few weeks later. Relax and enjoy the holidays. Patients is the biggest secret to making beer. Cheers

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 698 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
So I dont need to bottle after two weeks?
No, you sure don't. I generally leave mine in the primary fermenter bucket for 3 weeks although the last one sat for 4 1/2 before bottling. The kit makers would like to give you a schedule but the yeast don't read about that schedule and just do their own thing. Give them plenty of time and they will do the job well.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

+2,brewing beer is just like pit bbq...it's done when it's done. Only your hydrometer knows for sure.

Quick Reply