Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2nd Attempt after FAILed 1st Attempt - Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
brewzofo1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2nd Attempt after FAILed 1st Attempt - Question

After fail on my first attempt to brew Pale Ale a month ago. Last week I tried again with an IPA kit. Yesterday was the one week point in my ferm bucket. I added 1oz of columbus hops for the dry hop. Took a hydrometer reading while the lid was open. The reading was appr 1.027. My initial reading (week earlier) was 1.067. Finished reading should be at or near 1.017.

Am I on target as far as two weeks of fermenting in the ferm bucket? Or should I take another reading in 3-4 days and see if it is at or near 1.017? Does it need to be in the ferm bucket for two weeks or do I go by my hydrometer reading?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

As they say, RDWHAHB. Sounds like you are right on track. Just let it sit and try to ignore it.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
jerryboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Might still have a bit more to go, but really give it time. Take the paper instructions and add atleast 1 week to every step. Time is your friend.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wait three weeks to take a hydrometer reading

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I'd recommend next time waiting til FG is reached (stable FG readings over 3 days) before dry hopping. Just a suggestion, but I've heard that active yeast can inhibit the release of hop oils.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

The hop oils coat the yeast in suspension,& settle out with them. They also say hop aromatics go out with the escaping co2. But I'm not sure I believe that one. So def wait next time till FG is reached before dry hopping. Not to mention more time to let it finish up fermenting,clean up & settle out well.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I will generally wait 3 week to check gravity for dry hops. Add the hops if FG is reached and let sit for 7day. Soooo ....I use a primary bucket only and 4 weeks. What was your fermentation temp? You may be able to raise the temp a few degrees, help the yeast clean up, thus lowering the gravity a few more points. +1 on "unionrdr" advice! You have not failed! You made beer, give it some more time and enjoy it when its done. Cheers

Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
brewzofo1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
The hop oils coat the yeast in suspension,& settle out with them. They also say hop aromatics go out with the escaping co2. But I'm not sure I believe that one. So def wait next time till FG is reached before dry hopping. Not to mention more time to let it finish up fermenting,clean up & settle out well.

Instructions that came with kit says to drop 1oz Columbus hops into bucket after one week for dry hop. Cover and let it sit for another week then bottle. This past Sat. the 17th was one week. So while bucket was opened for the dry hops I took a hydro reading directly from bucket. Nothing was left on top of the beer, except for small bubbles. Color was clear darker amber. Kinda like a Avery Dugana DIPA. I'm guessing the krausen is at the bottom. It looked like I could scoop up some to drink from the top. It sure did smell good! Instructions says after throwing in the dry hops to cover back up and let sit for another week (x-mas eve day). But with my hydro reading at 1.027, my FG should be at 1.019. To me it is on target for Sat the 24th. So should I wait for this Saturday (2 weeks of fermenting in primary bucket) and open up bucket take hydro reading and if it's at or near 1.019 prime for bottling?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I should just go by what the instructions says. After 2 weeks in the primary bucket take my FG and bottle for another 2 weeks.

Thank to all you for your feedbacks.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

The instructions packed with the kits assume perfect conditions, fresh yeast that begins on day 1 and proceeds to chew through all the sugars in 24 hours. Real world isn't quite like that since you had yeast that may or may not have been fresh and it might have taken 2 1/2 days to get started. Your fermentation temperature may have been different as mine usually is. My brews don't start showing signs of fermenting for 15 to 24 hours and then are still active on the 5th or even 6th day. From the point that I see the last bubble in the airlock I know that the yeast are still working for another 3 to 10 days before they really settle out. I feel that the yeast should be all settled before you add the dry hops so they will give up their aroma and then settle to the bottom. I rushed a batch and had hop particles still floating when I bottled. I won't do that again as they get stuck in place that are hard to get them out of. Your dry hopping should take about a week but some have reported that 2 weeks are still fine. The second largest brewery in Washington state puts a bag of hops inside the kegs when they sent them out (IPA only) and they remain in there until the kegs are returned so I don't think you need to rush to get them out.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
brewzofo1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
The instructions packed with the kits assume perfect conditions, fresh yeast that begins on day 1 and proceeds to chew through all the sugars in 24 hours. Real world isn't quite like that since you had yeast that may or may not have been fresh and it might have taken 2 1/2 days to get started. Your fermentation temperature may have been different as mine usually is. My brews don't start showing signs of fermenting for 15 to 24 hours and then are still active on the 5th or even 6th day. From the point that I see the last bubble in the airlock I know that the yeast are still working for another 3 to 10 days before they really settle out. I feel that the yeast should be all settled before you add the dry hops so they will give up their aroma and then settle to the bottom. I rushed a batch and had hop particles still floating when I bottled. I won't do that again as they get stuck in place that are hard to get them out of. Your dry hopping should take about a week but some have reported that 2 weeks are still fine. The second largest brewery in Washington state puts a bag of hops inside the kegs when they sent them out (IPA only) and they remain in there until the kegs are returned so I don't think you need to rush to get them out.
I don't recall seeing any bubbles in my airlock during the first week in the bucket. But I understand that it doesn't have to have bubbles in the airlock for it to ferment. It has been sitting in my closet with the temperature right around 68-70F. Saturday was the only time I opened the lid to drop in the dry hops and take a hydrometer reading. It looks like some of the pictures I've seen here in the forum after one week.

So I dont need to bottle after two weeks? I could wait another week (three weeks total in the primary bucket is okay)? Or do I need to bottle when my FG hits the target of 1.019? Could it get lower than 1.019? Like 1.010? What happens when I leave it in another week and the FG is at 1.010 or lower? Higher ABV? I am so confused at this point. Some say after two weeks. Others say bottle when FG hits target of 1.019. Others say its okay to leave in primary bucket for 3-4 weeks. Maybe I am reading into this to much.

Quick Reply