Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2gl Extract full boil, boil off amount.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
venquessa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2gl Extract full boil, boil off amount.

Is there an easy way to judge/calculate how much wort I will lose with a 30min steep and a 30min boil aiming for 2 gallons of wort at the end?

Paul
UK (Northern Ireland)
Brew Log: http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/wordpress/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It is hard to be exactly sure unless you and your system in certain conditions have done it before. I usually get about a 1 - 1.25 gallons an hour for a normal boil. Could be more for a rigorous boil. For what you are asking I would say about 3/4 a gallon? Just a guess though

Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoedBrew View Post
It is hard to be exactly sure unless you and your system in certain conditions have done it before. I usually get about a 1 - 1.25 gallons an hour for a normal boil. Could be more for a rigorous boil. For what you are asking I would say about 3/4 a gallon? Just a guess though
I also get about 1 - 1.25 gallons of boil loss per hour. You could do an experiment, put 3 gallons on the boil and then measure it after 1 hour and you'll have an answer.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRooster View Post
I also get about 1 - 1.25 gallons of boil loss per hour. You could do an experiment, put 3 gallons on the boil and then measure it after 1 hour and you'll have an answer.
+1.

Boil 3 gallons of water for an hour and see how much you have left. Best way to judge how much you boiled off is by weight as hot water has a higher volume than it would when cooled.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you've boiled in your pot before changing the volume or time shouldnt change the boil off rate so you should lose half as much as you would expect in a 60 minute boil.
As for the grain loss its ~0.125 gallons/lb (this changes a little depending on crush, whether you squeeze drain etc).

Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
If you've boiled in your pot before changing the volume or time shouldnt change the boil off rate so you should lose half as much as you would expect in a 60 minute boil.
As for the grain loss its ~0.125 gallons/lb (this changes a little depending on crush, whether you squeeze drain etc).
That's true if you express the boil off rate as gallons per hour, but not if you express it as a percentage.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
venquessa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I stuck into the brew last night without even looking on the thread. For one I realised I had no way of measuring how much water was in the pot, except to fill it with 2 5 litre demijohns worth. I filled the demi johns to the very top, which pretty much maxed out my 12.5 litre boil pot.

I was careful with how much sparge water I used, judging by eye that I had slightly less wort than water I started with and luckily(?) came up with 2 demi johns full of wort and only 1 inch above the shoulder where it starts to narrow.

Trouble is... I was drinking home brew and by the time I finished, as it took so fricking long for my stove to boil the water... I was a little drunk. I forgot an OG measurement. I put the full 11g of nottingham yeast into the wort (half in each demijohn) and of course this morning I have one runaway ferment and had to install a blow off system into a jug of water. The other one is slightly (only slightly) less energetic but hasn't (yet) started to blow foam through the airlock. If it does, I'm in a bit of diffs as I only have one blow off hose, without taking apart my bottling hose.

Paul
UK (Northern Ireland)
Brew Log: http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/wordpress/

Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Musky01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been searching the forums and feel like this answered my question but would like some input from someone that has done it.

I have been making 5 gal batches for the last 3 years but want to make a few test 2.5 gal using my same setup.

In a 5 gallon batch I am always at 1.25 gal/hr so in a smaller batch I should expect the same rate? Boil off is not a function of volume but of surface area? Am I getting this right?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
flushdrew42
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i make 1.5gallon batches. i have a two gallon pot, when i boil, i'm boiling 1.75 gallons and ending with a little more than 1 gallon. and i top up to 1.5. in a 60 minute boil.

my first BIAB AG batch i had 3 quarts of strikewater, 1 gallon of sparge. (1.75g boil)

and needed a little more than 1/2 a gallon to hit my 1.5G line on my brew bucket.

Drew
off suit brewing
grand island, nebraska
------------------------------
On Deck: APA
Primary:
Secondary: Cascadian IPA

Kegged: Heart Flush Irish Red Ale, Oatmeal Stout, American Wheat

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 165 Posts

The gallons/hr boil off is a function of the kettle geometry (surface area of liquid) not the volume being boiled. Also a pretty easy rule-of-thumb for sparge water is to use the same volume as your desired batch size...works very well.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply