New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 22oz Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Hophazard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 22oz Bottling Question

I've decided to start using 22oz bottles to reduce the total number of bottles needed for each batch (not to mention the fact that I don't remember the last time I just had one). I did a quick search but didn't find anything on how much headspace is ideal for this size bottle. Do people typically follow the same rule as 12oz (i.e. as much as is displaced by the bottling wand)? Or would you leave just a little bit more space than that? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Same rule applies to any size bottle; as much as displaced by the bottling wand.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Same rule applies to any size bottle; as much as displaced by the bottling wand.
+1 The bottling wand automatically sets the amount of headspace.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
katja
Recipes 

I had the same question about my last bottling session and just bottled a couple in 22 oz to compare. They seemed to condition just the same way as 12 oz, maybe even a little quicker...don't know how that makes sense but then again I'm not a chemist!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
Hophazard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the help; I love it when the answer is intuitive. To be frank, I'm just glad that I didn't get re-directed to Revvy's bottling tips (which is awesome, by the way ).

As an aside, wouldn't it seem that leaving an identical amount of headroom in a bottle with 10 extra ounces of beer (and a correpsonding extra amount of priming sugar) would result in extra carbonation in the 22ozs compared to the 12ozs? Probably more of a theoretical question, but still...

Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
mahilly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophazard View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the help; I love it when the answer is intuitive. To be frank, I'm just glad that I didn't get re-directed to Revvy's bottling tips (which is awesome, by the way ).

As an aside, wouldn't it seem that leaving an identical amount of headroom in a bottle with 10 extra ounces of beer (and a correpsonding extra amount of priming sugar) would result in extra carbonation in the 22ozs compared to the 12ozs? Probably more of a theoretical question, but still...
The head room in your 22 oz. bottle is more than the 12 oz. bottle. Head room is exactly the amount of liquid displaced by the bottling wand, which goes deeper into the 22 oz. bottle, thus more volume in the head.

Quick Reply