Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is a 20 Gallon pot too big?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
jasonclick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is a 20 Gallon pot too big?

I just did a search on my local craigslist and someone is selling a 20 gallon aluminum stock pot with lid for $60. I only make 5 gallon batches... will this this be way too big for my needs or should I go and buy it? Just a little background... I've only made 2 brews so far and both extracts. I'm trying to put together equipment for all grain but I only intend to make 5 gallons at a time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I got a 15 gallon stainless with lid for under $100 off CL. I would hold out for stainless. 15 is great for 5 gallons, never boils over. 20 might get a little annoying because of size, but I wouldn't say it's too big. Plus it allows you to do a 10 gallon batch if you ever decide to split with a friend or something. Unless it's really wide, then your evaporation rate might be really high.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a 20 gal aluminum pot. I brew both 5 and 10 gal batches. I don't see any reason why filling a pot 25+% would be a problem.

That's also an incredible price assuming good condition.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also I see no problem using aluminum vs. stainless steel for a brew kettle. If you take good care of it, it will easily outlive you.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
bcales
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default 5 gal batch in 20/25 gal aluminum pot

I too am looking at a 80qt or 100qt aluminum for my starting out on 5 gal batches. I plan to put a weldless valve on it too. 10 gal is roughly 15" dia with a 20 gal at 19" and 25 gal at 20". The only thing I can think is that it has more surface area to the burner and may have more boil off?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcales View Post
I too am looking at a 80qt or 100qt aluminum for even my starting out on 5 gal batches. I plan to put a weldless valve on it too. 10 gal is roughly 15" dia with a 20 gal at 19" and 25 gal at 20". The only thing I can think is that it has my surface area to the burner and may have more boil off?
I think for a 5 gallon batch in a pot like that you'd have to start with a boil volume of 7+ gallons. It wouldn't even fill the pot halfway! If I was only ever going to do 5 gallon batches, I'd start with a 40 quart pot.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you do brew in a bag (BIAB) you will like having at least 12 and 15 is great for big beers. 20 is overkill in my opinion. BIAB cuts way down on equipment needs. Great thread on this forum.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
If you do brew in a bag (BIAB) you will like having at least 12 and 15 is great for big beers. 20 is overkill in my opinion. BIAB cuts way down on equipment needs. Great thread on this forum.
I do 5gal brews using the BIAB method. I mash in a Bayou Classic 7 or 7.5 gal aluminum pot. Works great! Not too much head space so I keep good temps during the mash (with proper insulation) and the 5 gal paint strainer bag fits perfectly over the mouth of the pot and sits in the water enough to keep the grains off the bottom but well submerged using 4 gal to mash. (see pic below)

JB
20120917_190639.jpg  

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Sayers' Wild Oats - Oatmeal Stout (almost gone!)

Kegged: Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew

Up Next: Maybe a Hefe

Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When I started I was doing 5 gallon batches, after moving up to BIAB (same setup as the picture above) I wanted to do 10 gallon batches so I set up a 3 tier gravity system, now I wish I had a bigger pot to do 15 gallon batches. If you like the hobby and think you will stay with it buy the biggest pot you can afford.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamguy77 View Post
When I started I was doing 5 gallon batches, after moving up to BIAB (same setup as the picture above) I wanted to do 10 gallon batches so I set up a 3 tier gravity system, now I wish I had a bigger pot to do 15 gallon batches. If you like the hobby and think you will stay with it buy the biggest pot you can afford.
Agreed. I also have a 15 gal SS pot I use as well. The larger SS one has a larger diameter and works great for those full 7 gal boils. Then I just transfer back to the smaller aluminum pot after the boil to cool in an ice bath while using an immersion chiller.. The transfer helps promote cooling, too.

JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Sayers' Wild Oats - Oatmeal Stout (almost gone!)

Kegged: Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew

Up Next: Maybe a Hefe

Quick Reply