Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 Weeks into my first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
SumnerH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 2 Weeks into my first brew

So, today marks 2 weeks after my first brew day (Northern Brewer's the Number 8 extract, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale styled after Rochefort 8).

Thursday the 5th I made the starter. Sunday the 8th I brewed. OG was 1.085, this past Tuesday morning (9 days into primary) I took the first hydrometer reading at 1.022. Wednesday it was at 1.020 (76% apparent attenuation at that point) so I figured I'd wait a little bit before checking it again.

Any point in taking a hydro reading today, or should I wait a couple more days? I'm planning on leaving on primary for a week after it stabilizes, then racking to secondary and starting a Cali Common.

EDIT: I mostly followed Palmer's How to Brew instructions over the kit's, I'll post the full process if it matters (I have copious notes).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4666 Times on 3390 Posts
Likes Given: 920

If you're not planning to rack it or do anything with it, I don't see the point in taking an SG reading. About two days before you're going to rack it, you can check the SG, and then again right before you rack, to ensure fermentation is finished.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If you're not planning to rack it or do anything with it, I don't see the point in taking an SG reading. About two days before you're going to rack it, you can check the SG, and then again right before you rack, to ensure fermentation is finished.
I figured if it was done today I could rack (and brew) next weekend, but if not then I'd wait another week. That way it has a week of cleanup in the primary once it's done. Is that overkill?

On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4666 Times on 3390 Posts
Likes Given: 920

Overkill? No, I wouldn't say overkill. I just wouldn't bother taking another SG if you've got a week before you're going to do anything anyway. If it's done, it is. If it's not, it might be by next week. So, any information gleaned from an SG reading wouldn't really mean much at all.

Since you're doing a secondary, racking when FG reached is fine. I assume it'll be there by the time you rack, but it should be checked to make sure. The best time to check is before you go to rack it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Overkill? No, I wouldn't say overkill. I just wouldn't bother taking another SG if you've got a week before you're going to do anything anyway. If it's done, it is. If it's not, it might be by next week. So, any information gleaned from an SG reading wouldn't really mean much at all.

Since you're doing a secondary, racking when FG reached is fine. I assume it'll be there by the time you rack, but it should be checked to make sure. The best time to check is before you go to rack it.
Awesome, thanks!

Quick Reply