Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is 2 weeks in the bottle enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is 2 weeks in the bottle enough?

I bottled an ESB exactly 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to open one tonight. I usually wait three weeks, but it would be convenient to bust out a few of them this evening. The OG was 1.055, FG was 1.015. It sat in primary for 3 weeks. Is it too early to try one of these beers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

You can try one but another week or two (maybe even 3) in the bottle would be better. It might be a good experience to have one now, have another one next week, and another the week after so you can see and taste the difference in bottle conditioning times...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Me personally I don't open them for at least 3 weeks if my storage has been at 70 degrees...

You can do whatever the heck you want, it's your beer after all as long as you don't start an is my beer ruined thread, because it is flat or it tastes funny..

Or if you get a stomach ache, like someone on here recently.

Might as well read this...Otherwise I'll just have to post it later...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

And don't drink them all or else you will miss out on them when they've conditioned...and at your best.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
I bottled an ESB exactly 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to open one tonight. I usually wait three weeks, but it would be convenient to bust out a few of them this evening. The OG was 1.055, FG was 1.015. It sat in primary for 3 weeks. Is it too early to try one of these beers?
If you kept them warm enough, they'll be good to drink. Not yet at their peak, but certainly enjoyable.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Shawn Hargreaves
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You should absolutely drink at least one of them, and it will probably be drinkable, although not as good as it will be a week or two down the road.

The best way to learn patience is by trying things before they are ready. Why even wait two weeks? I recommend trying one bottle after just a couple of days, then another a week in, so you can see exactly what difference the aging makes. Having done that, I now feel confident in recommending that three weeks really is the right amount of time to wait for most brews :-) Two weeks is drinkable but just not quite there yet.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I never got a gut ache from beer and I've had a few young 'ens. Some beers are ready at two weeks--sometimes less. If you always wait three weeks it's one part of the process you never really know. I wish I had some 7 once bottles so I could use a six pack of them as testers. Every recipe works out different.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
NZGirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Me personally I don't open them for at least 3 weeks if my storage has been at 70 degrees...

You can do whatever the heck you want, it's your beer after all as long as you don't start an is my beer ruined thread, because it is flat or it tastes funny..

Or if you get a stomach ache, like someone on here recently.

Might as well read this...Otherwise I'll just have to post it later...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

And don't drink them all or else you will miss out on them when they've conditioned...and at your best.
That's the second time you've referred to my post. Once again, I only posted about my stomach ache because I fear an allergic reaction to corn.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
DtownRiot
Recipes 

Tasting the beer at different stages is what I find to be an enjoyable aspect of the hobby. However, the difference between beer in a bottle for two weeks compared to three, is huge, four is even better.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've found (in my limited experience) that 3-4 weeks warm condition plus at least 3 days in the fridge is best. I was completely amazed at the difference between 2 week old, 3 week old and cold conditioned beer. A little patience makes all the difference in the world.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sure, go ahead. If you want to open some tonight then do it. 3 weeks in primary and 2 in the bottles should be plenty for a well made 1.055 beer.

Beer isn't manna handed down by God or something, just drink it. The rest of them can "age to perfection".

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Quick Reply