Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 stage fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
sgoehner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you don't want to purchase a carboy for aging bigger beers, I'd suggest bottling it instead of letting it sit on the yeast cake for months. I wouldn't have any issue letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks or so, even 4 weeks, but I can't see any benefit to allowing it to sit on the trub long than necessary. If you are going to age the beer, it could easily age in the bottles.
Yooper, first, GO PACK. Now that that is out of the way. If you are aging in the bottle do you let it carb at room temp and then cold age, or just leave at room temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdessert View Post
Don't mean to be a pain but I understand primary fermentation. I'm really new to brewing I have done 4 and 1/2 extract kits. I've never done a " big beer " just trying to figure out if I need to buy a 5 gal carboy and do my first secondary to age this beer or if I would have the same results leaving it in the primary for 2ish months.
"Two stage fermentation" is a bit misleading as there really isn't any fermentation happening in the secondary. The only time you would really want to transfer your beer to a secondary is if your intentions are to flavor your beer by racking your beer on top of fruit or something. Even then, the residual sugars are very quickly fermented out and probably won't change the alcohol content very much.

Personally, I rack my beers to secondary when I am TRYING to get a crystal clear beer. Why? I don't know, beergeeking, I guess. I wouldn't do it for anything really dark, like stouts. For the most part, it's really not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I asked a while ago about using 6 gallon Better bottles for secondary and the consensus was that the extra headspace would not be a problem. So I bought another 6 gallon and can use it as a primary or secondary and it is big enough that I could dry hop in it, although I haven't yet. So I will get 6 gallon BB's and forget about 5ers except for the one that I already have.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoehner View Post
Yooper, first, GO PACK. Now that that is out of the way. If you are aging in the bottle do you let it carb at room temp and then cold age, or just leave at room temp?
I would carb it up, and let it condition at room temperature for however long I was planning to secondary- in this case, two months. Then cellar it.

Beer ages faster at warmer temperatures, and cellaring would keep the profile better.

Quick Reply