Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 stage fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
Mdessert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2 stage fermentation

Does this mean I'm pitching a starter halfway through? Would say a 2 liter starter instead of 1 do the same? Or does this refer to a secondary fermentor? Sorry if this is a silly question I'm planning brewing NB's imperial stout kit and wondering if this means I have to buy a 5 gallon carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is the exact wording they use? Is it secondary fermentation?

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Mdessert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reading the instructions it says " rack into a secondary for 2-3 months. " can I not secondary? I'm not opposed to it I just haven't done it yet.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

"rack into secondary for 2-3 months" doesn't involve pitching of yeast. You pitch the yeast right after cooling the wort, and that's it for messing around with yeast. You don't have to rack to secondary, necessarily, but if you are going to let it sit for several months you may want to either rack to a secondary fermenter to get it off the yeast cake/trub, or simply bottle it and age it in bottles.

Edit: In case you don't know, racking to secondary simply means transferring the beer to a new fermenter/carboy to get it off the yeast cake/trub.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Mdessert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I understand racking into a secondary I guess I was confused by the wording "2 stage fermentation " and I want to know how long I can leave a big beer on the yeast cake without any adverse effects.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Hefanatic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdessert View Post
I understand racking into a secondary I guess I was confused by the wording "2 stage fermentation " and I want to know how long I can leave a big beer on the yeast cake without any adverse effects.
No fermentation happens in the secondary unless you transfer too early. Best to wait until ferment is done. I would say a month on a big beer is sufficient before transferring, but best to take a hydrometer reading. If you get a consistent hydrometer reading over the course of 3-5 days then it is ready for secondary (if that is your plan).

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Mdessert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't mean to be a pain but I understand primary fermentation. I'm really new to brewing I have done 4 and 1/2 extract kits. I've never done a " big beer " just trying to figure out if I need to buy a 5 gal carboy and do my first secondary to age this beer or if I would have the same results leaving it in the primary for 2ish months.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 135

You can leave it in the primary. I routinely leave brews in the primary for extended periods such as 6-8 weeks.

The only downfall is that you tie up a fermenter for that long... Buy another fermenter and you are. goood.

Brew more...

Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I feel comfortable with a 3-5 week fermentation then I will leave it in the primary for those 3-5 weeks then goto bottles. If it's going to be longer than that, I rack to a secondary. My secondary fermenters are glass (less oxygen permeable than plastic) + it's not a bad idea to be getting the beer off the yeast cake by that time...

Old 09-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4941 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

If you don't want to purchase a carboy for aging bigger beers, I'd suggest bottling it instead of letting it sit on the yeast cake for months. I wouldn't have any issue letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks or so, even 4 weeks, but I can't see any benefit to allowing it to sit on the trub long than necessary. If you are going to age the beer, it could easily age in the bottles.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS