Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 problems with my 2nd batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
GameFreac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 problems with my 2nd batch

Hey guys long time no post. My 1st beer came out alright but I realized I ordered an English-style IPA instead of an American IPA but it carbonated and lots of people liked it. Thanks for all your help on that batch.

Anyways, just brewed an all galaxy hop IPA (extract) and came up with 2 problems:

1. I couldn't get 3 gallons of water to boil on my electric stove so I had to put the lid on 75% covering the pot to get it boiling. Steam still escaped and I wiped off the condensation on the lid when I added the hops and extract every time. Will I still get DMS?

2. My tubes were not on my wort chiller tight enough and for about 5 seconds, some water from the outside faucet MAY have gotten into my wort before I tightened them. It was dark so I couldn't really see though. Will I get an infection?

EDIT:

Also, my wort is really dark and murky. When I tried to take the OG, I couldn't even see through it. Is that a problem?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Only way to know if it will get DMS is to wait and see.

As far as the wort chiller, you should be ok. Did it happen in the beginning? Worst case scenario you got some chlorine in the beer and may have to re-pitch your yeast.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
GameFreac
Recipes 

OK

Yeah it happened right when I started to chill it.

Also, my wort is really dark and murky. When I tried to take the OG, I couldn't even see through it. Is that a problem?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The darkness is probably from boiling your extract too long which causes it to caramelize. You can add 1/2-3/4 of it 5 minutes before flameout and will get a much lighter color.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You shouldn't have an issue with DMS since you used extract. This is only an issue with all grain brewing (the extract production process eliminates the DMS precursors...just like boiling an al-grain wort does).

And you're probably fine with the chiller mishap. Though only time will tell. A healthy fermentation will help.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
GameFreac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
The darkness is probably from boiling your extract too long which causes it to caramelize. You can add 1/2-3/4 of it 5 minutes before flameout and will get a much lighter color.
I had some grains that I steeped for 30 minutes, then boiled for an hour. That's it.

Quick Reply