2 ounces of Irish Most in 6 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I've read 2 tsp of irish moss can help clearer beer.

But I dump 2 ounces. Now I taste the wort and don't notice any difference before I had not to use it.

What will do overdose irish moss to the wort? Head retention reduce?

Head retention MAY be affected - that's an awful lot of Irish moss to use and some of the foam-forming proteins are impacted by the Irish moss. Not sure how much though since I've never used more than a couple teaspoons. I would think you would also get a seaweed flavor, but if it tasted OK out of the kettle then you're probably fine. Maybe someone else here has accidentally used that much Irish moss - if not...keep us posted on the beer! Hopefully it turns out great. :mug:

You've made the first seaweed ale! Ship me some, I want to try it!

Nah, for a seaweed ale you want to get some kombu for soup--serious kelp action! Gonna have to try that now. Thanks for taking this one for the team, komomos--now we know that not even 2 oz of Irish moss is enough to get that saltmalt flavor.

I have added yeast yesterday. I ever make pre lagering though. I had got huge stripped from particles wort.

Back