New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 months in, tastes like soap. Salvage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
thatjoshguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 2 months in, tastes like soap. Salvage?

well I'm two months into my first brew. It looks beautiful (it's an Amber from an extract kit). It's clear, has a nice head on it, and carbonated well. The problem is it tastes bad.

To be honest there's not much of a beer flavor to it, and what flavor there is just doesn't seem right. I'm not a major beer drinker (wierd choice of hobby I know) but I know that this isn't what beer is supposed to taste like.

Once you get past the first bit and actually swallow, it hits you... This beer tastes like dish soap.

I read around and I think I know what happened. On my brew day I screwed up and poured EVERYTHING from the pot into the fermenting bucket, sediment and all. I realized what I had done the next day, when someone corrected me, and so I knew I had to rack to a secondary fermenter as soon as I could. Primary fermentation took 9 days, so all that time it sat on that gunk. I racked into a carboy for secondary and left it there for two and a half weeks. It's been bottled and in my basement for about 4 weeks now.

I've been sneaking a bottle each week to taste as the aging process does its work. I thought at first that what I was tasting was a "green" beer, but as the rest of the beer mellowed, the soapy taste remains.

My question is, can this batch be salvaged at all? Is there any hope that another two or three months of aging can fix this? I know this has happened to other people, what are your experiences with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
artbrewer
Recipes 

The Gunk is fine, it settles to the bottom anyway.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
thatjoshguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrewer View Post
The Gunk is fine, it settles to the bottom anyway.
the gunk isn't really the problem anymore though. The beer is clear in the bottles, just a little bit of yeast on the bottom as usual. The only reason I mention it is that according to the "how to brew" book, leaving the beer to ferment on the trub for too long can cause this soapy flavor, which is actually soap.

Quote:
Soapy flavors can caused by not washing your glass very well, but they can also be produced by the fermentation conditions. If you leave the beer in the primary fermentor for a relatively long period of time after primary fermentation is over ("long" depends on the style and other fermentation factors), soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub. Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap.
I'm just curious as to whether or not this will go away in time, if anyone has encountered it before. I saw a few posts about it, but no one ever said if it actually went away or they disposed of their failed batch

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

ehh, after 2 months if its not getting weaker, I doubt it'll age out.

I've dumped my entire kettle into primary many many times, and never had soapy beer.

What are you using for a sanitizer?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
thatjoshguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i used star-san on the bucket and equipment on brew day, and one-step on everything after that (I rinsed with both)

Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What kind of hops? Whole/pellet? New/Old?

Which yeast? Starter?

Tap water? Rubber Hose?

I brew the best beer around.... don't believe me, ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me testing your beer with a write up....

OnTap: Rocky's IPA
OnTap: Wife's Ale
OnTap: Air
Fermenter: Vanilla Porter, Riley's Smile, Mead
OnDeck: Wifes Ale, J da Arrogant Bastard, Js Pale Ale, Rocky's Bark

Old 08-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first was a Hefeweizen and I dumped the whole thing, trub and all, in the fermentor. I doubt what you have done has anything to do with the soap taste. My Hefeweizen wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it was good beer. Did you ferment at too high a temperature? That can make things go bad in a hurry.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
thatjoshguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it was a True Breew amber kit. Cascade hop pellets, unsure of the yeast. Pre-boiled and cooled tap water (we have suprisingly good tasty tap water here).

I kept fermentation around 72 (best I could do at the time). maybe that is a little high?

There's a really good chance the ingredients were old. I got them from a homebrew supplier, but it was through ebay, so who knows what they sent me...

Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
artbrewer
Recipes 

I made a true brew kit ONCE....it was awful...canadian ale...it was like drinking battery acid!
i think their kits have some poor ingredients.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Did you say you rinsed after you sanitized?

Also I don't trust onestep, it skirts a fine line of being a true sanitizer (it is NOT fda approved as one) I posted a lot of info about that here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

I don't think the issue is from dumping everything into the fermenter, many of us do that regularly. Rule that out and look at some other possible casues.

Too high of a temp, poor sanitization, not rinsing the soap or cleaner good enough out of your bottles, gear etc....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply