Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 liter for bottling beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
paul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 2 liter for bottling beer?

I have a guy at my work who HB's and he told me that a faster way to bottle is to use plastic 2 liter's that Coke and other carbonated beverages come in. I did some searching and I have found some are for it and some are against it. The ones that are against it state that it would not make an air tight seal and you would have with skunky beer in the end.

I was just wondering if any of you have used 2 liter's for carbonating your beer. This is my first batch and I did not want to mess up a large portion of my beer just because I wanted to cut a few corners.

"Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've heard of many folks on here using it. The biggest cons I've heard aren't from the seal but the fact that the bottles are usually clear and that's what causes skunked beer. A bad seal would give you oxidized beer. The other problem is that they often retain the flavor of what was in there first, so you'd have pepsi beer or root beer beer. If you want to try it, you might pick up 2-liter bottles of carbonated water. They're pressure vessels, but don't have flavored pop permeating them.

The main reason I don't use 2-liter bottles is that I don't usually want to drink 2-liters of my beer at a time.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have used PET bottles for carbonating before. It's not a problem, and people do it all the time. The reason you can get skunky beer is not because of the seal, but because of exposure to light. Light will cause the hops, yeast, and enzymes in the beer to react together to create that skunky flavor. So, if you use a 2 liter bottle, or really any bottles that aren't brown, you want to be extra careful to store it in the dark all the time.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
paul
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not looking at doing the full 5 gallons in 2 liters maybe one or 2 and then the rest in bottles. A kegging setup is starting to look real nice . Thanks for you input!

Paul

BTW Thanks for the tips on storage and giving consideration as to what once inhabited the 2 liters. "Coke flavored beer, might be on to something!"

"Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"

Last edited by paul; 09-24-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
tcklord
Recipes 

Some people also use the 2 liter bottles and the caps that you can carb with a regulator and tank. That way you have a portable container to bring some to a party that is fully carbed and good to go.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
SFBEER
Recipes 

I have been using the 2 litre bottles for a while and have never had any problems other than if you open it then you want to drink the whole thing that night. What I usually do is fill about a dozen 1 litre PET bottles that I got from my LHBS and then fill a couple of the 2 Litre bottles for when I am having people over. Never had any trouble with skunky beer but I keep my bottles in the dark until it is time to open.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use 1.25 liter plastic mineral water bottles sometimes. Typically it's when I make an experimental batch or am testing recipes and it doesn't turn out that well. I don't want to go to the trouble of bottling in glass but I don't want to dump it either. So I'll quickly fill 10 or so of these and stash them away and slowly go through them little by little. Who knows, maybe I'll crack one in 6 months and the crappy beer will be magically transformed.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I keep a handful of 2 liter bottles in the brewing area, because they're so damn useful.

• Fill 'em partway with water, freeze 'em, and you have insta-cold for cooling fermenter baths.
  • Dispense into them from the keg, screw the lid on tight, and you have port-a-beer for parties.
  • Sanitize a bottle and a funnel, and you can get most (if not all) of a yeast cake in one for storage / washing.
  • Fill your keg and have extra beer left? Put the extra beer in a 2l bottle, add a carbonator cap, and you don't have to send the leftovers down the drain.
I find that tonic, club soda, and sparkling water bottles work the best for putting beer in, since the leftover flavor/odor is small to negligible. Coke / Dr. Pepper/ Rootbeer bottles are pretty much relegated to chilling duty, because you can't ever get the smell all the way out.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Up here in Winnipeg, Fort Garry Brewing uses 2 litre plastic bottles for their wino beer Stone Cold Draft. Seems to work just fine, but the people that are drinking this stuff are more concerned with the 6.2% ABV than the fact that it tastes like fermented corn juice.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I used (4) 2 liters when i didn't have enough glass bottles around. they worked for me. buy sprite or 7-up because they don't have much flavor that could contribute to the beer instead of coke. they carbbed up fine, just make sure when you open one to drink it all, otherwise it will go bad fast

Quick Reply