Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 gusher infections in a row (I think). Bummed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudawg7777 View Post
Really? If the bottles are overflowing, either it's not done fermenting, or it's overprimed right? The brewer said they "think" they added the correct amount of sugar, then had problems with overflowing bottles and too much pressure... Everything about this sounds like overpriming!

No those are not the only two possible scenarios.

Early in bottle conditioning beers will gush like they are overcarbonated, even though they are properly primed. This is why people asked about conditioning times, sugar amounts, etc.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
Loudawg7777
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That makes sense. There are always so many variables, I try to simplify but it doesn't always pan out... Listen to the beer guys!

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"- Don Corleone

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah scrap the dishwater. I let all my bottling equipment sit overnight the day before I bottle in a star san solution in the bottling bucket. All bottles get scrubbed with a bottling brush, then stored upside down in boxes. Then I re-sanitize when bottling.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
DialMBrewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
It is worth asking how long you let the carbonation go for. Early during carbonation any beer will gush.
The porter had been bottled for about a month before the bottle bomb. Most were being stored at room temperature (that's where the bottle blew). Even the chilled ones were gushing (though slower) after being in the refrigerator for a week or more.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
DialMBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomani View Post
Out of curiosity what was the FG for each? How much sugar (maple) did you add? I would think maple syrup has larger variability in the sugar content.

What is your current process for sanitizing the bottling equipment? How do you clean the bottle bucket and bottle wand? What type of siphon to rack into the bucket, how is all of that cleaned/sanitized?

With above info it would be easier to determine if infection vs. too much fermentables in the bottle caused your problem. How much time had you let the bottles condition? There are threads and youtube videos showing that if you open bottles too early the CO2 may not be in solution (causing gushers) but waiting and additional week for it to dissolve completely and it was fine.

Edit: Also if no off flavors less likely an infection.
I used 5.5 oz. (by weight) of maple syrup. This was the amount recommended in Palmer's "How to Brew". The porter had cane sugar in it. Again, I referred to Palmer's book and used 3.7 oz.

As far as cleaning the equipment goes, I usually just clean it as good as possible with water/sponge and a very small amount of dish soap. I rinse it well. Then I use Iodophor to sanitize. The bottling spigot/wand and racking cane get soaked in this solution (in another bucket) before I use them. I'm just thinking maybe I got a bit careless and forgot something. I may have forgotten to take the bottling spigot off of the bottling bucket and wash it really well.

The bottles conditioned for 2 weeks before I even tried opening one. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialMBrewing View Post
I used 5.5 oz. (by weight) of maple syrup. This was the amount recommended in Palmer's "How to Brew". The porter had cane sugar in it. Again, I referred to Palmer's book and used 3.7 oz.

As far as cleaning the equipment goes, I usually just clean it as good as possible with water/sponge and a very small amount of dish soap. I rinse it well. Then I use Iodophor to sanitize. The bottling spigot/wand and racking cane get soaked in this solution (in another bucket) before I use them. I'm just thinking maybe I got a bit careless and forgot something. I may have forgotten to take the bottling spigot off of the bottling bucket and wash it really well.

The bottles conditioned for 2 weeks before I even tried opening one. That was about 2 weeks ago.
Two weeks is short enough that you could have gushing just normally. Since spigots are like $2, it's easy to just replace them and the bottling wand to be safe. You're not rinsing out the iodophor? Normally contamination at the bottle level leads tom some contaminated, but not others. A whole batch gushing suggests overpriming (your second batch certainly was not), too early during carbonation (second batch might have been), or contamination in your bottling equipment. Do they taste funny?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #27
Loudawg7777
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Overpriming, thank you!

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"- Don Corleone

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
DialMBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Two weeks is short enough that you could have gushing just normally. Since spigots are like $2, it's easy to just replace them and the bottling wand to be safe. You're not rinsing out the iodophor? Normally contamination at the bottle level leads tom some contaminated, but not others. A whole batch gushing suggests overpriming (your second batch certainly was not), too early during carbonation (second batch might have been), or contamination in your bottling equipment. Do they taste funny?
Good idea; I should probably just replace those things. No, I am not rinsing off the Iodophor solution. It was my understanding that it's OK not to rinse it. I've done this with all my batches, even those that turned out well.

Good point about contamination at the bottle level. Since they are all gushing (not just some of them), that's probably not it.

Overpriming: Well, has anyone else had trouble following suggested amounts in these common books like "How to Brew" and "Radical Brewing"? I do LOTS of cooking (though I know it's not quite the same thing) and it seems like a pretty simple thing to follow a recipe/method and use the amount called for. I have never just dumped sugar in or added some random amount to a batch. Has anyone else had overpriming issues when they were fairly sure that they used the amount of sugar given in a trusted source?

Lastly - does it taste funny? Yes and no. The jaggery pale ale tastes funny. I'm not loving the fenugreek flavor. The recipe said it would add some nice mapley notes. Um . . . it tastes more like strong celery curry to me. These are all stashed in the refrigerator. I drink one now and then, and it does gush a little bit. I don't know if it has an off flavor, or if I just don't like the recipe that much. I'm hoping it might mellow over time.

Sadly, the porter (the batch that gushed all over the backyard after the bottle bomb made me panic and open all the bottles) was pretty good. I don't know if it's the best I've ever made, but it was drinkable.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #29
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialMBrewing View Post
Overpriming: Well, has anyone else had trouble following suggested amounts in these common books like "How to Brew" and "Radical Brewing"?
never.
most of the priming calcs actually err on the side of safety.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
megalomani
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I had gushers it was because I bottled when gravity seemed stable at 1020, fermentation had stalled a little which I later learned was common with the Belgian yeast I used. The priming sugar may have kick started the yeast and it ended up fairly dry. That is the only time I had a bottle bomb. Was a pain to clean up and the beer oxidized pretty bad from trying to transfer to a keg.

For your situation I am not sure, maybe they were just early and CO2 had not dissolved. Does not seem like infection to me, your sanitation seems good. Maybe check that your hydrometer is accurate as well. I leave my primary a month as a minimum because I don't like taking a chance.

Quick Reply