New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 batches, both have a woody flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 2 batches, both have a woody flavor

Hi all. As the title suggests I've brewed 2 batches and both have a woody flavor. The first was a kit beer, the Midwest Nite Cap cherry stout. Followed directions exactly, very conscience of cleanliness. Brewed over an electric stove in a 32 qt. aluminum turkey fryer. It used dry yeast and was at or near 66 degrees the entire fermentation and in secondary. The second I just bottled yesterday and it was my own recipe. I used AHS ingredients: 6lb. amber LME, 5 oz. Rauch and 5 oz. Carafa III. 1oz. Simcoe for 50 mins, 1oz. Challenger for 10 minutes. Yeast was Munton's Gold dry, and my SG was 1.110. At bottling I believe (due to my scale reading) the FG was 1.270. When I tasted this batch it wasnt' bad, just had that woody flavor. Not at all as severe as the first batch was at the same point, though. Anybody have any ideas? Used priming sugar from Midwest on the first batch, AHS on the second. Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I suppose some extracted tannins might give a "woody" taste. What temp and how long did you steep your grains?

Also, there's something wrong with those gravity readings on your second batch...based on your ingredients, your OG should have been ~1.042 (5 gallons, fully dilted and mixed in the fermenter) and your FG should have been in the 1.008-1.012 range.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Hi all. As the title suggests I've brewed 2 batches and both have a woody flavor. The first was a kit beer, the Midwest Nite Cap cherry stout. Followed directions exactly, very conscience of cleanliness. Brewed over an electric stove in a 32 qt. aluminum turkey fryer. It used dry yeast and was at or near 66 degrees the entire fermentation and in secondary. The second I just bottled yesterday and it was my own recipe. I used AHS ingredients: 6lb. amber LME, 5 oz. Rauch and 5 oz. Carafa III. 1oz. Simcoe for 50 mins, 1oz. Challenger for 10 minutes. Yeast was Munton's Gold dry, and my SG was 1.110. At bottling I believe (due to my scale reading) the FG was 1.270. When I tasted this batch it wasnt' bad, just had that woody flavor. Not at all as severe as the first batch was at the same point, though. Anybody have any ideas? Used priming sugar from Midwest on the first batch, AHS on the second. Kyle
I would first take a look at how you're measuring your gravity. Those numbers are all wrong, unless you're using some sort of scale I've never seen before. Final gravity should be lower than starting gravity though.

As for a woody flavor, I don't know what was in your first kit, but I could see the rauch malt and carafa giving a woody flavor. Is it a specific taste that has happened on both beers, or just something you're noticing?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What type of water?

Primary: IPA
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: American Wheat
Keg2: German Ale
Next up: Christmas Old Ale, American Wheat AG, need suggestions