Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 batches, 1 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Dude71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 batches, 1 problem

so i brewed 2 seperate 5 gallon batches of a DFH 60min IPA clone. they were brewed about 2 days apart, sat in primary and secondary for around 3 weeks total, and were both bottled on the same day. this was about a week ago.

I popped a bottle from 1 batch open today and poured it. it was nice and clear and had about an inch and a half of head. very nice beer.

I pulled up a bottle of the other batch, and the neck of the bottle had some filmy stuff in it. if you rotate the bottle, the film coats the glass and then goes back to the top of the beer when you de-rotate. i then checked several other bottles and they all had the same problem. I'm wondering if this is just firmentation or is this entire batch infected? i opened one of them and it tasted fine. if was not however very carbonated like the first batch i tried.

any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Advice? RDWHAHB is the beat advice here. Infections taste bad so if it tastes fine then you don't have an infection.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

You may have floaties from bottle conditioning or from syphoning some trub into the bottles, another possibility is the bottles werent cleaned well enough and you are breeding some gunk in a few bottles.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it tastes fine you're probably alright and as far as the lower carbonation levels in the second batch, give it a couple more weeks to bottle condition and it should improve.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You may also have had a mini-krausen in the bottles and that is what you are seeing.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Dude71
Recipes 

thanks guys. I'm not terribly worried about it. It tastes fine. It just seems weird to me that the one batch is completely fine and this one has the weird filmy stuff. exact same recipe and exact same procedure for both.

The other thing is that its in EVERY single bottle. i did open one after i posted that had more head space and it had carbed fine, got a good 1 inch head. so we shall see

Quick Reply