Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2.5 gallon batches ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
WheaYaAt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2.5 gallon batches ?

hello everyone! I was just concerned, I would like to do 2.5 gallon batches instead of 5. But the thing I worry about is my primary and secondary are 6 gallon carboys. Will that be to big, especially as a secondary? Is it worth going get like 4 gallons carboys maybe? Thank you 4 any help!! - lee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

why would you do a 2.5 if you have the space for 5? The effort and time is pretty much the same.

But - I'm gonna do a couple 2.5's as experiments. Get a 3 gallon carboy, and when you're not experimenting just make it a default Apfelwein fermenter.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Vast headspace is no problem for primary. Either skip secondary (some folks seem very happy with that modification) or get a 3 gallon (or two, or three) for secondary.

I've never seen a 4, but even if they do exist, still a bit big for 2.5 gallon batches. In fact, given that 3 is the usual smaller size I've seen, I'd upscale the batches to primary just a bit over 3 so there's not much headspace in a 3 gallon secondary. Use a speadsheet to resize recipes and it's painless, as opposed to "2.5 is easy because it's half, but 3.25 is hard because it's not."

The extra quart is for trub in the primary. If such a thing as a 2.5 gallon carboy is available, you could use that and brew 2.75 gallons. But 3 is what I usually see for a smaller one.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
WheaYaAt
Recipes 

i just wanted to be able to make smaller batches of different beer. that way i don't have beer bottles all over the place. not to mention i don't have the room, and experimenting with 5 gallons of beer can get expensive.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I do 2.5 gallon batches all the time. I don't get out much. Plus, I find I enjoy the process of brewing so much that if I brewed 5-gallon batches all the time I'd soon be awash with packaged beer!

Some years ago, I found 2.5-gallon carboys at one of the LHBSs and bought two. You can get away with 3-gallon carboys just as easily for clearing and maturation vessels; since the price of glass carboys is going through the roof - and there's always the safety issue - I recommend 3-gal Better Bottles. If you are going to store/age the beer in bulk, you want to reduce exposure of the beer to oxygen. Check winemaking shops for smaller carboys.

I still conduct the primary fermentation in an Ale Pail, and usually rack directly to the bottling bucket or keg.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
why would you do a 2.5 if you have the space for 5? The effort and time is pretty much the same.
Az...because he wants to...that should be enough to get actual help from someone....It may not be your cup of tea, but it is his, and mine, and several others on here.

I do quite a lot of them, for several reasons....to test recipes. To make things that I know I won't want to drink 5 gallons of. To do small partigyles (two, 2.5 gallon batches can be done easlily out of a 5 gallon cooler.) And also because I can do full volume boils on my electric stove with only needing a five gallon pot. And to help teach Mr Beer users how to make kick ass beers in their old brown kegs. You can also lager in a Mr Beer kegger, or squat 3 gal water bottle in a standard fridge without needing a second dedicated, and still leave room for the milk and beer, which is good for me since I live in a loft with little extra space.

It's also a good way to get introduced to AG without a huge expenditure of equipment. You can make a low to moderate grave 2.5 gallon batch of all grain in a 2-3 gallon unmodified cooler. (10 bucks @ Walmarts) And you can get surprisingly good efficiency from the unmodified cooler, with a folding steamer and a grainbag...

Plus you can brew 2.5 gallons of AG for about 9-10 bucks (Not counting yeast)...1 ounce of hops goes a looooong way in a 2.5 gallon recipe.

This summer I had 4 or 5 different small batches going plus 3-4 regular 5 gallon batches of my 'haus standards" (My Amber, My Dead Guy Clone, My Brown Ale, and My Ginger Orange Dortmunder.) I had a Hellova variety of beer.

WheaYaAt
I use 3 gallon water bottles for the majority of my 2.5 gallon batches. But you CAN use a 5 gallon as a primary...If your recipe calls for a lot of fermentables and therefore may be really active, doing it in a 5 gallon prevents the need to use a blowoff tube.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

BluBruShack Likes This 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Az...because he wants to...that should be enough to get actual help from someone....It may not be your cup of tea, but it is his, and mine, and several others on here.
Did you miss my second sentence?
Quote:
But - I'm gonna do a couple 2.5's as experiments. Get a 3 gallon carboy, and when you're not experimenting just make it a default Apfelwein fermenter.

I was merely asking if he has the 6 gallon carboys already, why not go for the 5 gallon batches.

Heck, I'm thinking about doing a 1-gallon batch just to see if the wild hops I found have any bittering to them at all...

but, back the OP - like others have said, you're x-tra head space shouldn't be a problem.

{buys Revvy a cup of tea}

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Did you miss my second sentence?

I was merely asking if he has the 6 gallon carboys already, why not go for the 5 gallon batches.

Heck, I'm thinking about doing a 1-gallon batch just to see if the wild hops I found have any bittering to them at all...

but, back the OP - like others have said, you're x-tra head space shouldn't be a problem.

{buys Revvy a cup of tea}
Sorry...I only had 2 hours of sleep last night...not focusing much here today.

Hopefully that tea has extra caffein....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Sorry...I only had 2 hours of sleep last night...not focusing much here today.

Hopefully that tea has extra caffein....
no prob buddy. Actually - you're not on my buddy list. wanna be?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
no prob buddy. Actually - you're not on my buddy list. wanna be?

DONE!!!!!!!

Quick Reply