Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time using harvested yeast - how do I make a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Phan71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st time using harvested yeast - how do I make a starter?

Okay, so after my last batch I harvested the yeast from the primary. It was easier than I thought.

I've currently got it in a mason jar with about 1/4" - 3/8" of yeast on the bottom (a little bit of the wort from the brew it came from on top of that).

The guy at the home-brew store said that with that much yeast I probably wouldn't need to make a starter. But, I don't want to take any chances, I kind of want to make sure that it's active before I pitch it.

So, I've got a few of questions:

1. Do I need to make a starter?

2. How much of the yeast that I have should I use? Should I use it all, or only part of it?

3. If I do make a starter, what's a good recipe?

4. Also, what should the yeast smell like (if anything)?

Update: In regards to question #4 - my yeast smells like pickles. Should I pitch it? Is this normal? Please, someone, answer ASAP, as I either need to create my starter today or run out to the LHBS for some new yeast.

Thanks.

Last edited by Phan71; 03-10-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Phan71
Recipes 

Actually, I did pour the old beer off the top before I sniffed it. Could that smell still be from the old beer? Is the yeast safe to use, or will it ruin my batch?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

do a search for yeast washing

should help clear it up a bit and maybe get rid of the "pickle smell"

good luck!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It is always a good idea to have a pack of dry yeast in the fridge for emergencies. The yeast should not smell like pickles though, is the jar a former pickle jar? You could make a small wort prior to brewing and get the yeast active while brewing so that way you are sure the little guys are ready for work.

Gary

Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even if your yeast is only in starter for 4 hours it will end up being more active live yeast cells than if you skipped the starter -- by a LOT. If you have time, do the starter. If you're in a pinch, skip it, but I do agree with the suggestion to wash the yeast...

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Phan71
Recipes 

Well, I decided not to chance it and just went and got some new yeast. I'll try the harvest again with this new batch and some new jars.

btw - Yes, it did happen to be an old pickle jar, but it was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before using. Plus, it had actually been stored under the sink for quite some time before I used it. I really don't see how it could have kept the smell of the pickles (it certainly didn't smell like pickles before I put the yeast in there!).

Anyways, thanks for all the responses, but I'm just not going to take any chances and ditch that yeast.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I've got a jar of trub in the fridge from my last batch, and when I get ready to brew I am going to make a starter a day or two beforehand. The reaon; it will give me a chance to see if the yeast is still viable, yet giving me enough time to run to the HBS and get a fresh package in the event it's not (it's a hefe yeast, not something I can pick up a dry packet of and keep on hand "just in case".)

Primary - none
Secondary - none
Bottled - APA, robust porter, hefeweizen

Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaAZ
I've got a jar of trub in the fridge from my last batch, and when I get ready to brew I am going to make a starter a day or two beforehand. The reaon; it will give me a chance to see if the yeast is still viable, yet giving me enough time to run to the HBS and get a fresh package in the event it's not (it's a hefe yeast, not something I can pick up a dry packet of and keep on hand "just in case".)
Throw that trub slush in to a starter (1 cup DME boiled in 2 cups of water) about 48 hours ahead of time. If it's good and viable (very likely) you'll have a jar that resembles a miniature primary in 12-18 hours.

Slosh it all around before pitching and throw it all in...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The washing is easy, too -- I procrastinated but once I got down to doing it, it took about 1/2 hour of actual time. Only pains were making some sanitizer (iodophor) ahead of time, and boiling some water far enough in advance that it would be room temp in time to wash the yeast. I will be doing this again, since yeast at my LHBS is about 7 bucks for White Labs tube. Actually, I split the washed yeast into two batches, and now they will be only one generation removed from the original and my avg price per batch for yeast is down to about 2.50 - low enough that I could just buy new instead of going to 2nd generation...

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
MariaAZ

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Throw that trub slush in to a starter (1 cup DME boiled in 2 cups of water) about 48 hours ahead of time. If it's good and viable (very likely) you'll have a jar that resembles a miniature primary in 12-18 hours.

Slosh it all around before pitching and throw it all in...
I am thinking I'd better use a really large bottle for the starter, if the original fermentation is any indication!

Primary - none
Secondary - none
Bottled - APA, robust porter, hefeweizen

Quick Reply