Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time fermentation: question/worry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st time fermentation: question/worry

I brewed my first batch of Pale Ale from a kit. Boil - Plastic Fermentation Bucket -Dry Yeast sprinkled on top and very lightly stirred. I specifically followed all directions present with the kit. I did forget to take an Hydrometer reading however. I finished adding the yeast at 2:00PM Friday.
Question: The "bubbling" began about 8 hours after and continued Saturday. By Sunday it had slowed down quite a bit, maybe a bubble a minute and now(Monday) I am recording a bubble once every 2 minutes.
I tried to research the forum before posting but still need a little reassurance or advice. Like my first batch to one of many great brews.
Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

First question, what type of yeast did you use? Some yeast strains, especially some of the dry yeast like Nottingham's and Safale, ferment out very fast. I have had ferments in as little as 24 hours.

If you're still concerned, wait a few more days and then take hydro readings on two consecutive days. If there is a change, fermentation is still occuring. If there is no change and the reading seems WAY above your estimated FG, go ahead and re-pitch. If there is no change and the reading seems to be right on target, congratulations, you have beer!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure of the type of yeast used. The kit was a True Brew Pale Ale kit. The packet of yeast was just labeled Ale Yeast in the instructions. I tossed the packet away after using.
I'll follow your instructions. What is the easiest way to take the samples, minimizing contamination? Will taking the lid off and using a sanitized baster to remove a sample work, or is there a better way?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Ridge Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds alot like my first brew(2 wks ago). 5 days into primary ferm. and no bubbles. I used Nottingham dried Ale yeast. I bottled after 8 days which in hindsight was probably too soon. Stable hydrometer readings are your indicators to fermentation. I've heard 10 days is about as long as you want your beer in your primary ferm. First I've heard of rapid Nottingham ferm. but I'll attest to it. Relax brother and good luck!!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I take samples just the way you describe, with a sanitized turkey baster, works well for me. If you used a generic packet of yeast (which it sounds like you did), I would go purchase some nottingham's or safale and pitch it, that generic yeast is not always the best quality. In the future, I would use one of the brand name dry yeasts, or switch to liquid when you feel like you're ready.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've heard 10 days is about as long as you want your beer in your primary ferm.
Nah--you could leave your beer in primary for weeks with no negative effect.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Nah--you could leave your beer in primary for weeks with no negative effect.

Yeah, my best beer to date sat in the primary for 3 weeks, no issues with it at all. I'm pretty sure it takes over a month for off-flavors from dead yeast to develop.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Moundbrewer
Recipes 

No one in this thread has said anything about the 1-2-3 rule as a guide line. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and three weeks in the bottle.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moundbrewer
No one in this thread has said anything about the 1-2-3 rule as a guide line. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and three weeks in the bottle.
Rules are made to be broken
And I dont really like that rule, it is recommended with the yeast im using now (WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast) to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. And some beers are going to take longer then 3 weeks to condition. But thats my two cents.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
Geordiepete

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
In the future, I would use one of the brand name dry yeasts, or switch to liquid when you feel like you're ready.
What is the difference between using dried yeast and liquid? Does liquid need any preporation like dried yeast does or can you just throw it in.

In the UK a pack of safale dried yeast is about 99p whereas a pack of liquid yeast can cost around £5:00

Quick Reply