New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time dry hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default 1st time dry hopping

Hey everybody...
I followed some advice given to me by some of the "elders" here on this site, and I dry hopped my IPA by just dumping a half ounce of Columbus pellets into my carboy. This beer sat on the cake in primary for almost three weeks (1.060 down to 1.014), then I racked it to a carboy to dry hop for a week or so. My question is, will all the hop flakes settle at the bottom (I plan to cold crash), because ever since I put them in, all the gunk is just floating on top.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Teddypower
Recipes 

Try putting the hops in a bag weighted with marbles to make them sink. A little trick I learned on here.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Hey everybody...
I followed some advice given to me by some of the "elders" here on this site, and I dry hopped my IPA by just dumping a half ounce of Columbus pellets into my carboy. This beer sat on the cake in primary for almost three weeks (1.060 down to 1.014), then I racked it to a carboy to dry hop for a week or so. My question is, will all the hop flakes settle at the bottom (I plan to cold crash), because ever since I put them in, all the gunk is just floating on top.
Usually they do, sometimes they don't. It seems to me that when it's colder, they float more. (I think more co2 remains in suspension and the bubbles hold it there- or else I'm imagining it.

You can just rack around them, though, no worries. I put my racking cane about 1/2 way down into the finished beer and lower it as the beer level lowers until I'm just over the trub. By then, the hops sludge has sunk pretty well.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doesn't really matter if you weigh them or not. I dry hop with whole hops and they float i just filter the beer when transferring it out of the secondary to a keg or bottling bucket.

Cold crashing will help everything sink to the bottom as well, i do that before I keg.

Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club

http://mvhbc.com/

Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Well, I was going to weigh them down with the marble in the bag trick, but it was suggested to just toss them in. Yooper, thanks; I figured I could just rack from below them.

I can't wait to try this beer!

Quick Reply