Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time brewing - no sign of fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
jfck2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
From the smell you describe it is fermenting. One quick way to see if it is fermenting is to pop the lid as gently as possible so as to not disturb the layer of CO2 that shields the beer from oxygen. A quick peek into the fermenter should show krausen forming.

The seals in lids and around airlocks often leak and don't allow enough pressure to form in the fermenter to push out bubbles in an airlock. If you see foam or surface bubbles on the beer close it back up and wait three weeks then start taking SG readings. If you see A LOT of foam (krausen) and it is anywhere near to filing the fermenter put in a blowoff . The lower the temperature the more controlled the krausen will be in general so keep it so the beer stays at around 65. Fermentation generally will bring the beer's temperature above room temperature by 5 or more degrees.

OMO

bosco
Thanks for the advise. I will check it tonight when I get home. I was slightly afraid to open the lid but it sounds like its okay as long as I do it gently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

one of the reasons why air lock activity isn't a good indicator of fermentation is that the CO2 may be escaping elsewhere. if your lid doesn't seal properly or the air lock isn't jammed in properly, it will be easier for the gas to escape that way instead of pushing through the liquid in the air lock. so no bubbles doesn't mean that there isn't fermentation happening. just means there are no bubbles

and on the flip side, the presence of bubbles doesn't mean there is active fermentation. it just means CO2 is being release, and there are reasons other than active fermentation to explain the release of CO2 from the brew (atmospheric changes, temp changes, being shaken/bumped, etc).

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
jfck2000
Recipes 

Hi All:

Thanks for all of your advice. I decided to be patient and let nature take its course. We've wired two weeks an took our frt hydrometer reading last night and got a FG of 1.014 which is within the FG values on the paperwork that came with the kit. We are going to take one more reading and if we get the same value we will keg it tomorrow. We did sample it and it tastes great! We are very excited. Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences on kegging? Ie. longer carbonating vs. shorter carbonating?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

I like to go with the set it and forget it method. Just set it to the desired psi (usually about 12) and let it sit for 10-14 days. This gives it time to condition as it carbs, you don't have to adjust it to serving pressure, and you don't run the risk of over carbing it. On the rare occasion that I am in a real hurry to get the beer ready I will crank it up for a couple days.

Quick Reply