Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time brewer needs help with yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Hogs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st time brewer needs help with yeast

I just recently made my first ever batch of home brew after reading about it. I didn't follow any recipe as I like to start experimenting right away. It was a 10 gallon batch and I used Nottingham dry ale yeast. I used the yeast because it got great reviews as being a fast fermenting, versatile, neutral yeast. I followed the directions and re hydrated it for 15 min in in water at 34 degrees. then mixed it up and let it sit for 5 minutes. then I slowly added it to my wort which was at 69 degrees. I added it slowly mixing the wort as I added it. Its been 3 hours now but there does not appear to be any fermenting activity close to the airlock or stopper. Im not using a see through primary fermenter so I cant see whats going on but it does not appear to be fermenting. Should I lift the lid to check, do nothing, or add a different strain of yeast. Im worried that my yeast could have been dead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
IPTVEng
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

3 hours is nothing. Here is some good info on what's going on in there.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2-1.html

Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

10g probably needed two packs of yeast. 3 hours isn't nearly enough time. I bet you will start seeing activity 24-48 hours. Also, airlock isn't always the best way to measure fermentation. If you don't have a perfect seal it won't bubble as you expect it to.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Also -- keep those ferm temps in the 60-68 range. Ferm temps can also be 5-10 degrees above ambient do to the energy released by the yeast.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

34 degrees celsius? Sounds fine. Wait 3-4 days before jumping the gun on the fermentation starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Hogs
Recipes 

Default Thanks guys

Thanks That was helpful. Ill wait 24 hours then and see what happens. I did use the equivalent of 2 packets of yeast for the batch sorry that I wasn't clear on that. . As for the temperature, its hard for me to get it to the low 60s during the day as the weather is getting warm here. During the day, the air temp in the room will usually be 68-69, and at night around 64. I could put it in the tub and use a cold water bath but then I won't really know what temperature it will be at. But I was planning to tinker with temp control and alcohol percentage in future brews, for my 1st brew I just want to make sure it comes out decent.
Also in case I decide to replace the yeast later tomorrow if nothing is happening, the only other yeast I have is a belgian trappist ale yeast from white labs. Could this be ok for an american pale ale or would it come out awful. ( just in case I have to put new yeast in tomorrow)

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Hogs
Recipes 

Default yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
34 degrees celsius? Sounds fine. Wait 3-4 days before jumping the gun on the fermentation starting.
Yea sorry was not clear there either. yea celsius. Directions said to rehydrate with water at 30 to 35 degrees celsius. so I boiled 190 ml of water to 34 C then added my yeast to it.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs View Post
Thanks That was helpful. Ill wait 24 hours then and see what happens. I did use the equivalent of 2 packets of yeast for the batch sorry that I wasn't clear on that. . As for the temperature, its hard for me to get it to the low 60s during the day as the weather is getting warm here. During the day, the air temp in the room will usually be 68-69, and at night around 64. I could put it in the tub and use a cold water bath but then I won't really know what temperature it will be at. But I was planning to tinker with temp control and alcohol percentage in future brews, for my 1st brew I just want to make sure it comes out decent.
Also in case I decide to replace the yeast later tomorrow if nothing is happening, the only other yeast I have is a belgian trappist ale yeast from white labs. Could this be ok for an american pale ale or would it come out awful. ( just in case I have to put new yeast in tomorrow)
You'll be fine. You can put it in a water bath with a towel over it and a fan blowing on it, that is a good way to drop it a few degrees during the day, but not drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Hogs
Recipes 

Default also

I forgot to mention I did pour the water and yeast into a sanitized measuring cup before I added it to the wort. Could that have killed the yeast?. Sorry if these questions sound stupid but Im pretty new to all this. Im sure its probably fine and Im panicking for no reaon.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

An airlock is NOT a fermentation indicator it's a pressure release valve. If your brewing in a bucket you may never see any activity in the airlock because the CO2 is escaping from around the lid. Put your good ear next to the fermenter. If you hear a hissing sound then you have fermentation. I would suggest walking away from the fermenter and forgetting about it for the next 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply