The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st time AG brew: are these can't miss recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
greenchuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st time AG brew: are these can't miss recipes?

I've helped my padre with a few AG brews, but this month I'm buying the equipment and doing my first solo venture. I'm going to brew two batches in one day, probably one after another. I'm not trying to juggle too much at once and doing them at the same time.

Here's what I'm planning to brew, let me know if they're can't miss, good first timer type of recipes.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cold...ale-ale-48353/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/amer...own-ale-94385/

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
shane7676
Recipes 

I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'can't miss' recipe, but I think that both of these recipes sound great. Both are higher gravity and even if your efficiency is not as high, you will still get a nice product.

Keep in mind that the recipe for the brown is citing an 80% brewhouse efficiency which might be tough to get (it is hard for me to get that).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chuck, those look like winners to me although I have never brewed either of them. You may consider increasing the grain bills on each of these by perhaps 1 pound total. Looks like the recipes are calibrated to 80% efficiency - which might be tough to achieve depending on your crush and the effectiveness of your procedure.

I envy your ambition doing 2 AG's in one day on your first attempt! Have fun and keep us posted.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Attempting 2 AG's on your first day may be rushing things - you're going to learn a lot about your equipment (heat transfer, retention, evap. rate) and you'll undoubtedly have process questions that you'll want to research. And, you'll want to factor all of this into your next batch. So, I'd recommend starting with the Coldwater 420 (cheaper - less grain, less hops).

But, whatever you decide - have fun!

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

I would advise against doing 2 AG brews in the same day, it being the first time doing AG and all. The trick with AG is nailing the process and understanding how your particular AG system works. By doing both brews on the same day, you might repeat the same errors. By spreading them out, you can take what you learn on the first brew and apply it to the second brew.

Also, AG brews do take more time and trying to do two in the same day might have you running around/more stressed out and that is never fun.

Just my 0.02.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
greenchuck
Recipes 

Heeding your advice I may do the Coldwater first and wait and do the Brown the following weekend. The only reason I was going for two is that wifey is going out of town so I'd have the whole day to dork out and brew. I'll be sure to post pics, thanks to all!

Quick Reply