The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st Mead - Extra Week In Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
albeerquerquean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st Mead - Extra Week In Primary

I'm brewing Papazian's Barkshack Ginger Mead. It was fermenting pretty slowly so I ignored it for a couple of weeks - then while rereading the recipe I saw he recommended racking it after a week whether primary was done of no. So, I racked it a week later than recommended.

Does anybody know why he wants you to rack it in a week and what the effect of an extra week in the primary could cause? I'm guessing a stronger ginger flavor is all I'm risking by leaving the solids in a week extra. But, I tasted it and it is not too much ginger - so, did I get lucky or are there other risks?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
meddin
Recipes 

I assume that he suggested racking to get the mead off the yeast cake after the most active part of fermentation. I don't think you ruined anything at all

Primary 1 - Engish Mild Ale
Primary 2 - Three Dog Pilsner
Secondary - Empty
Keg 1 - English ESB
Keg 2 - Scottish 70-/
Keg 3 - Commercial EPA

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
albeerquerquean
Recipes 

Hey thanks. The instruction reads rack after active fermentation fully complete OR one week. I can only think he is worried you would over infuse the mead with ginger. I bet you're right and there is nothing to worry about. In fact - I'm not going to worry. I'm going to have a home brew instead. :]

Quick Reply