New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brew - how will this affect the beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
ekoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st brew - how will this affect the beer?

Saw a Craigslist ad, "Free brewing supplies", called the gentleman, got two 5 gal glass carboys, bucket, hoses, funnels, strainers, bottle capper, bottle caps, everything I needed. (Yes, was VERY lucky, probably because I was available to get there "right now", presumably before his wife killed him.

I spent about a week RTFM'ing and went out and bought a standard kit from the local supply store. "Brown Ale #5" we'll call it...didn't pay a lot of attention to it, trusted the brewmaster guy.

Did the sterilizing and the boiling, and SG went from ~1.055 to 1.012, and stayed at 1.012 for a couple days, (10 days total in primary) so I transferred over to my secondary.

1st mistake: I didn't filter when I put it in the primary, so there was what looked like a "hop plug" in the neck of the bottle, which I removed with two sterilized knives. (It tasted rather bitter. I also tasted when I did my SG reading and it tasted rather like a hefeweizen.

2nd mistake: I uhm, "misremembered" what step I was at, and boiled some water, added my corn sugar to it, let it cool to 68, then threw it into the secondary.

It looks like it's happily fermenting some more in the secondary, bubbling away, lots of activity, and it looks and smells like a brown ale. Will this make a sweeter beer? Higher alcohol content? Most importantly, will I have to add more sugar prior to bottling it?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

you will have a slightly higher ABV. yes you need to add more sugar at bottling.

how did you transfer from your primary to your secondary?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
ekoman
Recipes 

Siphon hose, didn't get a lot of the floating things, and none of the cake at the bottom.

Thanks again, that's kind of what I figured.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

next time you could put a hops bag over each end of your siphon. the bags will filter out most of the solid stuff in your brew.

Quick Reply