Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brew, good thing the wife was gone lol!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
SNPorter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marquette MI
Posts: 37
Default 1st brew, good thing the wife was gone lol!

Well I waited for a day that my wife would be gone to brew my first batch and glad I did, what a mess. She'd of had a fit if she had seen the kitchen.

Everything went relatively well with a few small mistakes. First I was boiling my wort with a lid partly on. I decided to search the forums for "covered boil" and found that I needed to get the lid off asap. Fortunately I finished the last 30 minutes with the lid off in a good hard boil.

The biggest mistake I made was not having something ready to filter the trub out of the wort as I dumped it into my fermenting bucket. I never realized there would be so much. So in desperation I searched the house for something that would work. I >gasp< boiled up some longjohns that had a loose knit. They worked for about a 1/4 of the wort then clogged up good. I then used the supplied sock for the specialty grains and secured it to the bucket with a large rubber band and that did work.

I did nail the wort temp as I cooled it to 115 in ice water then added my chilled water to it. Came out at 68.8 when I pitched the yeast. Currently sitting in a dark room that's 62 degrees(hopefully that's a good temp). Directions call for 64 -70 degrees but from what I've read here sounds better to start low. My next option is 70.

It's a Brewers Best Red Ale. Hope it turns out OK.

Check out my filters. Got to get one of those 5 gal bucket strainers I've read about here that sell on Ebay.

I won't tell anyone it was run through my long underwear LOL!


This is hrough the supplied grain sock. I was really surprised at the amount of trub for a kit like this. I suppose this is normal for the hops, which were pellets btw.


In the end, it looked fine to me.

__________________
SNPorter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Sounds like a fun brewday! You can find those paint strainers at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $4 for two, so no need to order them. That said, I rarely strain my wort and my beer turns out just fine so don't sweat it too much. I've been forced to strain a bit lately, because I have a new counterflow chiller and pump that would clog with too many leaf hops, but otherwise I don't worry too much.

If you ever feel like a mini road trip, I brew often and you're welcome to come down here for a brew day. I also have been inviting random strangers to lschiavo's house for brewing, too, and he hasn't complained yet. He'd be a bit closer drive for you (in Crystal Falls) and he's a brewing machine. We could help you brew up an extract batch while one of us brews on our rigs, since we sure have enough stuff.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,832
Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2025

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPorter View Post
I won't tell anyone it was run through my long underwear LOL! ]

Just did a spit take with my Red Ale!!! Now that ^ is funny!
Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,832
Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2025

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Sounds like a fun brewday! You can find those paint strainers at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $4 for two, so no need to order them. That said, I rarely strain my wort and my beer turns out just fine so don't sweat it too much. I've been forced to strain a bit lately, because I have a new counterflow chiller and pump that would clog with too many leaf hops, but otherwise I don't worry too much.

If you ever feel like a mini road trip, I brew often and you're welcome to come down here for a brew day. I also have been inviting random strangers to lschiavo's house for brewing, too, and he hasn't complained yet. He'd be a bit closer drive for you (in Crystal Falls) and he's a brewing machine. We could help you brew up an extract batch while one of us brews on our rigs, since we sure have enough stuff.
Damn, I didn't even notice SN is another UPer . . . . Isn't there some sort of limit on the number allowed in here?
Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Frodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 1,033
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Who needs a paint strainer... Long johns huh? Do you think Hanes or Fruit of the Loom would work better?

__________________
Frodo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Damn, I didn't even notice SN is another UPer . . . . Isn't there some sort of limit on the number allowed in here?
We Yoopers are going to take over the brewing world. Mwaaaahhhhaaaa!

Of course, we'd actually have to leave the UP to take over the world, and none of us want to so it might be a while.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Gregscsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 452
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPorter View Post
The biggest mistake I made was not having something ready to filter the trub out of the wort as I dumped it into my fermenting bucket. I never realized there would be so much.
In my experience you don't even need to worry about filtering the trub out of the kettle. All the trub will settle down into the yeast cake at the end of fermentation and will stay behind when you rack to secondary or bottling.

Also 62F ambient temp will be great for your beer, leave it there until fermentation completes. 70F would be much to warm and cause excess esters and phenols.
__________________
Gregscsu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Posts: 2,167
Liked 119 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Damn, I didn't even notice SN is another UPer . . . . Isn't there some sort of limit on the number allowed in here?
I smell a conspiracy.....
__________________

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

KayaBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
SNPorter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marquette MI
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Who needs a paint strainer... Long johns huh? Do you think Hanes or Fruit of the Loom would work better?
Hey this is first class nothing but Duofold here baby!


I just looked at my bucket and the temp strip is at 66 degrees. I assume just leave it there then eh?

And yes, us Yoopers know our beer haha!
__________________
SNPorter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's a good thing I don't brew to save money! Mustangfreak General Beer Discussion 36 02-21-2010 11:23 AM
Did I just wreck a good thing? Zackb911 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 04-18-2008 10:37 PM
Too much of a good thing. Orfy General Beer Discussion 5 01-27-2007 04:34 PM
Only thing a Mac is good for... :) Denny's Evil Concoctions General Beer Discussion 14 02-07-2006 12:32 AM