Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st Brew Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Hogw1ld
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st Brew Dilemma

Hi guys,

first time here and first time brewing. So I went ahead and did all the things i was supposed to do (extract style brew) on saturday the 21st, it only bubbled the air lock a bit, maybe a day. I am using a bucket with a lid and lock, i was waiting to see if it would take off, nothing, i took a reading at the beginning of 1.040. so today i checked it not much activity with a reading of 1.020, no visible sign of mold, slime or any of that. room temp is about 68 degrees. question is wait or chalk it up as a loss.

on another note, as the first batch did not seem to be doing much and i will not be beat, i started another yesterday in a glass carboy and it is just bubbling away, seems to be a very addictive hobby. LOL any advice would be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Madman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lack of airlock activity doesn't mean that there's no fermenting going on. Leave it alone through the fermenting period, and go by the hydrometer readings.

(almost) Never toss your beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky
I am an oddly hirsute woman.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leave it alone. Forget you even have a fermenter for a couple of weeks, then take a hydrometer reading. If it gets stuck at 1.020 for a week, gently swirl the fermenter to get the yeast roused and leave it for another week.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
VonStigler
Recipes 

Like everyone will say the airlock is not a fermentation gauge. The hydrometer tells the truth. I brewed my second batch and put it in a primary and the airlock NEVER bubbled at all. I let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks and bottled it, of course the hydrometer reading had dropped from 1.068 to 1.011. I had one about an hour ago and it is very good.
Cheers,
Brian

I m not as druck as sum thinkle peep I m

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Hogw1ld
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

well thanks, pretty much what i wanted to hear, gona pu that on the back burner LOL

Quick Reply