Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brew: All extract or Kit w/grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Casey26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st brew: All extract or Kit w/grains?

Hey brewers,

First off, I am glad I stumbled upon this site. I am looking forward to the wealth of information on this site.

I have been reading "The complete joy of Home Brewing" and have a question. The author suggests making your first brew from a hop "flavored" malt extract, and nothing else.

Would you recommend doing that, or do you think I would be ok trying a kit recipe like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/extra-pale-ale-extract-kit.html?

I would prefer to try the latter of the two, but I don't want to skip any crucial steps along my journey of homebrewing.

Also, any idea where I can get some clear plastic tubing/hosing?

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!

-Casey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Make the extract kit with grains. It will be a better product. Here is a local store in your city

Gary

Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Addicted
Recipes 

I did my first brew(Full boil)about a month ago,and had no problems with some grains and hops.I just planned well and turned out good beer i think.If i were you,I'd go with the kit from Nb.

Tubing can be found at hardware stores,Lowe's/Home depot.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just picked up six kits at NB the other week; one all extract, one partial mash, four extract with specialty grains.

Love the specialty grains--I would definitely advise you to embrace any opportunity to incorporate grains prior to moving to AG.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
wadner
Recipes 

I've never done an all extract kit. It is simple to add specialty grains. Go that route.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another vote for specialty grains. Sure, it's another step, but with all extract, especially hopped extract, you might not feel like you're really doing that much. But that's just my opinion.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

yet another vote for specialty grains. My first kit contained grains. My next attempt is an a la carte recipe, no kit, just went to the lhmbs and picked out the ingredients from the recipe I plan to use.

It really is simple, pretty much anyone could do it.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
mikebiewer
Recipes 

Another vote for the speciality grain kit you are looking at from Northern Brewer. Tell me how it goes, I'm looking for a recipe to do in about 3 weeks once my Pilsner gets out of the primary in a couple weeks.

Mike
Mike's Brew Review.com
Mike's Brew Review Newsletter

Old 01-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
JimE
Recipes 

Go with the specialty grains. It is as easy as steeping tea.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I agree, steeping some grain is not hard. I don't feel there's anything wrong with doing an all extract kit or a hopped extract. I even do them occasionally, but for a first time home brew experience I think steeping a little grain might be a little more, oh, I don't know, fulfilling I guess.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply