Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st Brew Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
ITHZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 1st Brew Advice

I brewed an all Amarillo IPA extract last saturday.Temp corrected OG came to 1.071. Pitched US-04 at 10:30pm with an air lock.Sunday 6:30am it woke me up going nuts.By 6:45am rigged up a blow off hose and all was good and it has been "VERY" active every since.It has since slowed down (thank god!),but still several bubbles per minute. The question is should I wait tell it stops bubbling to completly to take an other gravity reading?I feel like I should wait a few more days.How often do you take reading on active fermentations?

On Deck: Amarillo IPA w/US-05
Primary#1: Amarillo IPA w/US-04
Primary#2: N/A
Bottled: N/A

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
rudu81
Recipes 

I would give it at least 3 weeks. That will allow for the yeast to finish and clean up after themselves. I don't do readings on active fermentation anymore. A one month primary and into the bottle, unless I'm using oak, coffee, or dry hopping.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

don't even bother with readings at this point. with an IPA you want to let it sit in primary for 3-4 weeks anyway

Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

If i see good activity,especially like yours i dont even take a gravity.The only time i do is after 3 weeks when i bottle. I usually rouse it a little the last week and up the temp a little(probably unneccesary) then third week- check the gravity -and if i dont like the reading ill wait(havent had to yet) to bottle it. Ive seen no reason to check it this way,ive only used dry yeast and ive usually heard of more difficult times with liquid yeast a little more. And with overactivity-havent had to use a blow-off yet nothing wrong with that.Havent done a high gravity yet either.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
mikebowman
Recipes 

I'm gonna third that. As long as it's vigorously fermenting, no need to take a reading. The only real point to a gravity reading is to make sure it's fermenting, which it obviously is. No worries there.

I generally take a reading when I pitch the yeast, a reading when I rack to secondary, then one more on bottling day. If you don't do a secondary, skip the second reading. No big deal really

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

S04? It is probably close to be done by now. This yeast is fast.
Gravity reading now, why not?
Sorry to go againts the thoughts of "allow for the yeast to finish and clean up after themselves", but once gravity becomes a flat line, I bottle and let it develop flavors in the bottle.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilo View Post
S04? It is probably close to be done by now. This yeast is fast.
Gravity reading now, why not?
Sorry to go againts the thoughts of "allow for the yeast to finish and clean up after themselves", but once gravity becomes a flat line, I bottle and let it develop flavors in the bottle.
I bottled my first two right after a flatline 8-12 days.I also had to wait 6 weeks +in the bottle before the green would go away.If that would work for me i would do it but to me its faster to let it condition on the yeast cake in primary a week or two longer to get a good tasting beer, but do what works for you. Ive had my 3rd and 4th beer taste better before the first two that still had to condition.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can take gravity readings as often as you like but there are two things to consider:

Yeast in suspension will effect your reading (they have mass, plenty of it)
Every time you take a sample (unless you have a conical or something else with a sampling port) you introduce O2 and a potential source of infection.

Take those two items with a grain of salt and you can decide for yourself. It's fun and educational to take lots of samples so you can plot the gravity over time to see the non-linear progress of the yeast. Other than that, why do it?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
ITHZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess the problem is that as a newb with way too much info I am compelled to take a reading to see were it is,but it is still active so I know its still going down no matter what.And yes, it is hypnotising starring at the bubbles!

On Deck: Amarillo IPA w/US-05
Primary#1: Amarillo IPA w/US-04
Primary#2: N/A
Bottled: N/A

Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

I know what you mean. I'm brewing for years and I think I'm still a newb, and crazy about control and tracking the brewing as it goes. Reason why I take daily gravity readings in "ALL" my batches.
You can build the fermentatoin profiles, like below, and see how different yeast behave differently. Cool stuff. At least for me.

1007.jpg   bluemoon_55.jpg   dunkelweisen_fermentation.jpg   summer.jpg  

Quick Reply