Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brew in 15 years

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
lebucheron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Watching the airlock is a good way to stress out. Just relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. Beer is harder to screw up than you'd think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster View Post
Plastic fermentation bucket. Finished about 8pm last night. Noticed fermentation this morning. Now 24 hours later, fermentation appears very slow. A bubble every 15 seconds. No vigorous bubbling like I remember. Should I be concerned. The brew is an all malt porter kit with Muncies dry yeast.
Things are sooooo much better now. Try getting a quality fresh liquid yeast if available local, or buy a good dry yeast. Do a proper 'starter' easily searched for here, then pitch at an ideal temp. For ale generally around 70 degrees or lower, or for a lager probably 55 or lower. Try this out. Also realize that yeast do a lot more than create alcohol. They also eliminate off-flavors in the right environment and can create horrible flavors if fermented improperly, especially if pitched into a overly warm wort or if the yeast is stressed by the amount of fermentation neccesary.

Have fun and enjoy the beer.

meh.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Ster
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

36 hours.. fermentation has ceased. Lid is very tight fitting. I will trust you experts, let it sit for about 5 more days and bottle on Sunday.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
tservice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would wait a bit longer than 5 days. imo

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Fermentation has not ceased. Yeast continue consuming other compounds to "clean up" the beer after you see CO2 escaping the air lock. Most people here use a one month primary and then bottle. Your beer needs more time.

I personally use a 7 day primary and 14 day secondary for most. Then a solid week in the keg. That is when my beer starts to get good.

meh.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

There is not set time table to bottle. You assume in five days it's ready to bottle. You assume fermentation has stopped because you see no bubbles in the airlock. These may not be safe assumptions to make. Let it sit at least a week. If possible use that time to obtain a hydrometer and measure your gravity. If it has reached a realistic final gravity and is stable over two or three days, it is safe to bottle at that point. That does not necessarily mean it would not benefit sitting for a week or two more. The yeast will definitely clean up some of the by products. I always take a gravity reading at seven days. Most beers are done then, but I let it sit two more weeks beyond that. I take a second gravity reading right before bottling, just to make sure something didn't go wacky and then I keg on that third week. Since my beers are primed with sugar in the keg. I let it sit another month. So, most of my beers are enjoyed, at the earliest at seven weeks of age. Something like a hefeweizen, I would probably just keg once gravity is stable for a few days and I might force carb it, so I can get to it while fresh, but 95% of my beers are probably on a seven week minimum schedule.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply