Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
TheBandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st brew

Hi Guys,
I just finished my first 5 gallon brew from a kit. Everything seemed to go well. Its about 24 hours since fermentation started. My primary is a 7.9 gal bucket with lid. Wow is that bucket swollen. Looks like its gonna blow. My airlock is full of brown liquid now with bubbles coming out the top breather holes. The bucket is cool to the touch. Is this normal????
Anthony

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It sounds like you did a great job!

All of us experience a vigorous fermentation at some point. There are several pictures posted of ktichen and closet ceilings that were redecorated by homebrew.

Body temp is 98.6 degrees and ferment is ideal 70ish for an ale, so it should feel cool to the touch.

Some people would say if you are worried about the pressure in your bucket, pull the airlock before it blows. You are outgassing at a rate that precludes the possibility of oxidation or contamination through the CO2.

Another reccomendation is to look at using a blow off tube for your next batch, or re-rigging this one: it is a large diameter tube often used in a carboy that the end is submerged in a bowl of water, thus creating an airlock, but allowing large volumes of CO2 and krausen material to pass.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have one heck of a fermentation going and your airlock is plugged. My last wheat beer did the same thing, my suggestion is rig up a blow off tube and you should be good to go, it will release the excess krausen and help keep from making a mess. If you don't want to go through that trouble try cleaning out your airlock and removing the little star tip at the bottom which I have had clog up before creating a small problem.

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 02-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
TheBandit
Recipes 

Thanks guys. There seems to be plenty of gas coming out the airlock. While I was waiting for a reply I read about mopping the ceiling and such stories so I took the bucket and put it in the shower, just in case.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

+1 to blowoff tube. If you've got this much airlock activity this early, you might as well pop in the tube before your airlock blows out. My 5th batch (an IPA) was the first to demonstrate this. I brewed my beer, pitched my yeast, then left the house for a party. I came home that night and went to sleep. When I woke up, my airlock was coated with foam, inside and out. There was krausen all over the floor; it was messy.

I popped out the airlock, and popped in a santized tube into a growler of water + Star San. Everything should be just fine now

Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
TheBandit
Recipes 

Ok I removed the airlock and released the pressure. Cleaned out the airlock and replaced it. I'm still leaving it in the shower though. I'm glad I came to check this before I went to bed. I think I can sleep now. I think some sort of blowoff tube for next time. Thanks for all the input.
Anthony

Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

All you have to do this vigrously in the primary is to lay the lid on top of the bucket, don't snap it on until the mass of bubbles (krausen) subsides then after a week or so pop the lid on and put your airlock back in. There is so much CO2 coming off it now that you won't get Oxygen through that thick blanket of Co2 gas to spoil the beer.

Last edited by EoinMag; 02-09-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
TheBandit
Recipes 

After cleaning the airlock the batch bubbled for 3 more days without causing any problems. It looks like nothing is happening now after 1 week. I think I'm gonna let it sit in the primary for 2 more weeks before I bottle.
Anthony

Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2122 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Yummy!

10 chars...

Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Indy418
Recipes 

I had the same problem with my first batch. It's b/c my poorly designed kit instructions told me to pitch the yeast pretty much whenever. Make sure you cool down your batch before adding the yeast and you likely won't need to take off the airlock or attach a blowoff.

Now the hard part--waiting!

Quick Reply