Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st bottle taste - something wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
jp27300
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 1st bottle taste - something wrong

Ok, so,

My first brew ever which was Caribou Slobber, 2 weeks in the bottle. I tasted the first one Yesterday. More to know what 2 weeks in the bottle tasted like rather than expectations that it was done and ready to drink.

It had been carbing at 62 to 64 degrees, since I can't find a warmer place in the house. That said it was medium carbed I think, moderate hiss at opening, no head really, but slight tingle on the tongue. I tasted the 2 Hydrometer samples prior to bottling and while they tasted watery, there was no aftertaste or bad flavors

I drank 1/2 the bottle from a glass and I kept getting this odd, strange bitter taste in the back of my throat. Its not a hops bitter, but more of a metallicish, sickening taste. its very hard to describe. I can only think of describing it as the stuff you'de put on little kids fingernails to stop them from biting their nails. A bad bitter flavor.

about 1/2 hour later I felt ill, nauseous and stomach cramps. Moved from my stomache to lower and is lasting until today. I can still (10 hours later) sort of taste that bitter taste in my throat.

Here is my bottling process: Washed each bottle with PBW and bottle brush, rinsed each and drain in a dish rack. Filled a large tub (like a party beer tub) 1/4 way with starsan and sub merged each bottle and left them for 5 min or more. Drained each bottle and placed it in the lower dishwasher rack, which I had sprayed the lower and upper racks with a fair amount of starsan from a spray bottle. From there they drained and I would bottle what was in the dishwasher before refilling it with bottles from the tub.

I was very conscientious with sanitation, but I would not say I was fanatical about it. But I did sanitize everything that I used, bottling bucket, wand, priming water, etc...

One thing that occured, which I hate to admit, but "may" be the issue. My wife has long dark hair and it gets ALL over the house, everywhere.

After bottling maybe 1/2 the batch, I saw a stringy thing hanging off the bottling wand (im bottling over the dishwasher rack as Revy suggests). It was one of my wife's hairs stuck to the wand. How it got there I don't know, but I was careful enough with the stuff not to like drop it on the floor or counter etc...

I've read xyz, you need to have your body adjust to home brew yeasts, etc.... while I'm willing to accept that might be part of it, I think the flavor is related.

I'm resigned to try and up the carb temperature and leave it alone for maybe another month in the bottle.

So, What do you think, is this flavor and resulting sickness an infection, is the hair involved, would I see an infection in the beer? I have 2 clear PET bottles bottled, so I can see the beer and it looks fine.

Whats going on here? Any Ideas?

But, RDWHAHB isn't going to work, since I'm loathing trying another one of these from this batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Several things...

A little bit more time conditioning perhaps.

Extract brews have a notorious "twang" taste, although it is not usually described as nauseating.

When you pour into a glass, make sure to pour slowly to not get any (or very little) yeast in your glass. It takes some practice and if u get good at it, you only lose about 1 oz.
Also, i have found that it is best to refrigerate for about a week before drinking. This forces the remaining yeast to flocculate to the bottom and depending on the yeast used, I have had a well formed clump of yeast at the bottom of bottles that is rather hard to stir up.

How does it smell?

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY- Apple Cider (13 gallons)
CONDITIONING:
DRINKING: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
DRINKING: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
PLANNING: Dunny's Learn To Homebrew Day APA
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
jp27300
Recipes 

It smells fine. The yeast is well settled at the bottom and I left a fair amount of beer in the bottle.

The taste itself was not nauseating (but yes a twangish taste in the bottle, not in the hydrometer sample) , but the after effects surely were.

I did put the bottle in the freezer to cool it for about 1/2 and 1/2 hour in fridge. The next one I'll leave for a week.

Sickness yeast related? If so how to cure that? I don't want anyone to experience that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger View Post
Several things...

A little bit more time conditioning perhaps.

Extract brews have a notorious "twang" taste, although it is not usually described as nauseating.

When you pour into a glass, make sure to pour slowly to not get any (or very little) yeast in your glass. It takes some practice and if u get good at it, you only lose about 1 oz.
Also, i have found that it is best to refrigerate for about a week before drinking. This forces the remaining yeast to flocculate to the bottom and depending on the yeast used, I have had a well formed clump of yeast at the bottom of bottles that is rather hard to stir up.

How does it smell?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
jp27300
Recipes 

Ive read: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...2/#post1030387 Revy's wise advice.

And I accept it. Its just the Being sick part I'm worried about. If it was just the flavor, I'd just wait. But... There's nothing I can do except wait anyways so...

Just trying to Diagnose for next time.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2268 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1701

At 2 weeks in the bottle,the beer wasn't carbed & conditioned yet. Thus that sharp bitterness. It takes 3-4 weeks for the average gravity beer to be ready in bottles. At least one week fridge time to settle chill haze,etc & get co2 into solution. Also,carb & conditioning is best done at 70F or a lil better. 64F is def too low,& will take longer if at all. Bottle carb & condition temps aren't the same as ferment temps.
Baring an infection,I think it's still green with yeast still in suspension carbing & conditioning.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You might read up here on the off flavors, their sources and how to avoid them.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

It is widely accepted that beer is very, very safe to drink. That being said, everyone is different and our bodies react in different ways.

There are other factors - it is flu season, sometimes the food we eat is spoiled, and if you are like me, then you are old and temporary illness just happens.

Next Up: Superbowl Stout

Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
jp27300
Recipes 

Our water has higH iron, but we have an iron filter and a second filter. I used Poland spring for 80% of this, batch. We,ll see how the next batch turns out with100% of house water.

I'll try the beer in a month and see what develops.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
BPRjam
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree that this is probably two different things. First, I have a horrible time with extract twang in my brews. They have a sharp solvent-like, mild metallic taste. Sounds similar to what you are tasting. Something else that is common between your experience and mine is that my beer tasted fine at bottling time, and after bottle conditioning tasted "off". I suspected sanitation for a while, but after trying several different methods of sanitizing my bottles and bottling equipment, I decided it must be something other than my process. I resolved this issue by going to all-grain. It may not be possible for you to do this, but I'm amazed by the difference.

The stomach issues could be due to either excessive yeast ingestion, or some other coincidental illness.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2268 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1701

Some off flavors aren't detectable till the carbonation & conditioning brings them out. As for the metallic,solvent flavors,read this; http://draftmag.com/offflavors/

Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 236

if you are/were diarrhea sick; I'd say either yeast or marginal/bad food. You wont know until opening another bottle. Blowing chunks flu sick would be coincidence. Food poisoning would be similar to flu just shorter length.

Next: Undecided
Primary: Left Hand Milk Stout Clone (11/21/14)
Secondary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14)
Drinking: Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14), Smoker Toasted Oatmeal Stout (9/27/14) and Craft Beer

Quick Reply